Bayfield, Colorado, United States
- Last updated: December 31, 2018 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: October 18, 2004
Our Vision: To create and live in a community that fosters harmony with each other, the larger community, and Nature.
Located twenty minutes east of Durango (and 3 miles NW of Bayfield), Heartwood Cohousing has 24 private homes on private lots, a large and beautiful Common House with open air terrace, a village green and playground, a separate workshop and greenhouse, all clustered snugly on 7 acres, surrounded by 350 acres of community-owned woodlands, trails and open space, including 50 acres of irrigated pastures and community gardens.
Residing at 7100 ft elevation, where the high red-rock deserts of the Four Corners region merge into the majestic, 13-14,000 ft San Juan Mountains – we thrive in one of Colorado’s most stunning regions. At Heartwood, you know your neighbors and are known by your neighbors. You can plant a garden, raise a family, run a business, form deep friendships, and find your home in community.
We’ve packed a lot of information into our newly redesigned website. Please take a look around and virtually explore Heartwood Cohousing. If you like what you see, click on the “GET IN TOUCH” link to stay connected via our “Heartwood Happenings” newsletter.
Whether your goals are the deep connection of community, dirt-under-the-fingernails home-grown simplicity, an active outdoor lifestyle that includes world-class hiking, road and mountain biking, skiing, kayaking and rafting, weekend family trips to the desert or the high mountain wilderness, or an evening of excellent food and entertainment in nearby Durango, Heartwood is the place to live, love, put down roots, raise your family, grow together, prosper and change the world, one neighborhood at a time.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1994
- Start Living Together: 2000
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.heartwoodcohousing.com/
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/HeartwoodCohousing
- Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/heartwoodies
- Other social: http://www.instagram.com/HeartwoodCohousing
- Contact Name: Heartwood Cohousing Membership Team
- Phone: 4156866546
- Community Address:
800 Heartwood Lane
Bayfield, Colorado, 81122
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Programs & Activities: Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Our Steering team has primary responsibilty for planning and oversight. Other teams have responsibility for various other community functions.
Community decisions are made by consensus in community meetings (1 or 2 per month).
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 2
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
We do expect everyone to actively participate and contribute their talents to the maintenance of the community, ideally in the ways that work best for them with an offering of at least eight hours of community work per month. Monthly dues for each home ($200 – $400 depending on number of people in home) contribute to the community’s annual budget which addresses common costs including common building maintenance, water/wastewater management, landscaping, roads, trash, etc.
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Solar, Wind
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Food produced locally: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Library, Workshop, Hot tub or hot springs, Large Scale Kitchen, Tractor & Farm Equipment, Fire pit, Swingsets & play areas
- Internet Available: Yes, both the community and individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), Mostly Vegetarian, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
We have common meals twice a week. Potlucks some Fridays, and occasional Sunday brunches and other community celebrations. We have a farm, gardens, a greenhouse, an orchard, chickens, etc. People often share surplus food with each other and at our common meals. We also have a community food store in the common house for locally grown food. We tend towards natural, organic foods and try to accommodate everyone’s needs and preferences in our common meals. We love good food shared with good friends!
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs), Christian, Buddhist, Jewish, Quaker, Paganism or Earth Religions, Atheist, Agnostic, Humanist
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Coho/US
rural, family, farming, cohousing, community