Denver, Colorado, United States
- Last updated: January 17, 2019 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: January 20, 2005
Hearthstone Cohousing is an urban, multi-generational cohousing community located in northwest Denver, Colorado. We have 33 townhomes, a common house and shared green areas. We are within walking distance of many locally owned businesses including a grocery store, restaurants, coffee houses, and bookstores, as well as public transportation. We are a 10-minute drive or 30 minute bike ride from downtown Denver. Please visit our website (http://hearthstonecohousing.com) for more information.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1998
- Start Living Together: 2001
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: No
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.hearthstonecohousing.com/
- Contact Name: Hearthstone
- Community Address:
4700 West 37th Ave
Denver, Colorado, 80212
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: Yes, multiple identified leaders
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
After 15 years as a community, we are currently investigating the best governance structure for the next 15 years
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: Encouraged or suggested
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
We are a home owners association. We have HOA dues which vary according to unit size and number of residents. We are part of a master HOA in a larger new urbanist development.
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Solar
- Planned renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Current food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Food produced locally: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Workshop, Outdoor Kitchen, Large Scale Kitchen, Swingsets & play areas, Gym or sports area
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: About once a week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used often.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Additional Diet Comments:
We try to feature both veg and meat at meals and we try to meet members’ food allergy restrictions.
We try to cook with organic food whenever possible.
Alcohol is used by individuals as often as individuals care to drink.
There is no smoking in public areas, but residents can smoke tobacco or marijuana in their homes.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Not a particularly spiritual or religious community, Christian, Buddhist, Jewish, Hindu, Protestant, Catholic, Unitarian Universalist, Atheist, Agnostic, Humanist
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Private School off the property, Public Schooling, Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual