Great Oak Cohousing
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
- Last updated: February 23, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: October 4, 2004
We have used an ecologically sensitive building and site design that preserves the land’s natural beauty. We have an intergenerational, friendly atmosphere that is safe for children and conducive to visiting with neighbors. There is a large community building, called a common house, for optional shared meals (five nights a week), and other activities. We are located ten minutes from downtown Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2001
- Start Living Together: 2003
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.gocoho.org/
- Contact Name: Great Oak Cohousing
- Phone: 734-330-2440
- Community Address:
500 Little Lake Dr
Ann Arbor, Michigan, 48103
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Suburban
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $300
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 3
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Solar
- Planned renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: Up to 25%
- Food produced locally: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Vehicle Share, Library, Workshop, Large Scale Kitchen, Fire pit, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, both the community and individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), Vegetarian Only (no animal meat; dairy and eggs okay) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegetarian, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Community meals are provided 3 to 4 nights a week.
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Private Schooling at the Community, Private School off the property, Public Schooling, Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Coho/US