EVO: The Emerald Village in Vista, CA
Vista, California, United States
- Last updated: October 16, 2018 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: January 20, 2014
Community Culture Statement and Application Process
The Emerald Village is a multi-generational community whose focus is a practice of living from higher guidance to be of greatest service to ourselves, our families, our greater community and the planet.
We practice the following as part of our personal and spiritual cultivation:
Non-violent/ compassionate communication and radical responsibility
Qi gong, yoga, dance and flow arts
Monthly men’s and women’s groups
Regular sweat lodges
Sharing community meals
Regular group process meetings
Land and Animal Care
Those who intend to stay with us should be prepared to participate fully in the aforementioned activities as a part of integrating into the fabric of our lifestyle.
For those who are serious about wanting to become a seasonal resident (due to the rigorous nature of living communally- physically, spiritually and emotionally), we have compiled a comprehensive list:
Must be 21 or older (we currently do not have housing for families), no substance abuse or active recovery (min. of 5 years sobriety).
Complete the online application including $50 application fee (to cover background checks)
2 professional/academic references
Willingness to undergo background check
Interview either in person/Skype/Hangout
Attendance at 2 community meals*
Pre-payment of two week trial stay at $375 (includes room, food, laundry, utilities and administration)
Attendance at one of our monthly work days*
Proof of Driver’s License & Car Insurance (if you have vehicle)
Non-violent communication intro*
Attendance at one of the following: sweat lodge, men/women’s group, qi gong/ yoga/ movement class*
*Can occur during trial stay
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2011
- Start Living Together: 2011
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Not currently, but there is a list or possibly in the future
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.theemeraldvillage.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/EmeraldVillageOrganization/
- Contact Name: Amy Saloner, Nick Heyming, Jessica Shinners
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Programs & Activities: Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association, Festivals, Conferences, Events
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Sociocracy
- Identified Leader: Yes, multiple identified leaders
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
There are ten original founders.
We are currently using primarily a Sociocracy model of governance.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 10
- Open to members with existing debt: No
- Additional Comments:
Everyone contributes a minimum of 10 hours per week toward the operations of the community. Each member is expected to join one primary circle in garden, animal husbandry, maintenance, marketing, events and general management as well as other project based contributions and cooking once per month.
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Garden(s), Swimming pond or pool, Hot tub or hot springs, Large Scale Kitchen, Fire pit, Swingsets & play areas, Gym or sports area, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Additional Diet Comments:
2 Community meals a week
Mostly omnivore, vegetarian and gluten free options.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Christian, Buddhist, Jewish, Catholic, Native American, Paganism or Earth Religions, Agnostic
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Expected Healthcare Practices:
Because we have individuals practicing varying levels of both eastern and western medicine practices…we follow general safe care around washing hands and staying home when contagious disease is present. We communicate openly about our practices and health status often.
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), NuMundo, Tribal Convergence Network
EVO: The Emerald Village
emerald, village, permaculture, evo, vista, bonsall, san diego, california, north county, food fores