Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, Maryland, United States
- Last updated: June 21, 2018 (1 second ago)
- Listing created on: January 25, 2005
Eastern Village is a 56-unit cohousing community in downtown Silver Spring, Maryland, just a few blocks from the Silver Spring metro.
The first organizing meetings were held in late 2002, with 40 members on board within five months. Move-in started in October 2004.
Our building is a gut rehab of an abandoned 1950s-era office building in a formerly scruffy part of downtown Silver Spring. The building incorporates a number of green building features (ground-source heat-pump system, high-efficiency central hot water, etc.), and is LEED Silver certified.
EVC is legally structured as condominiums. Units range from one-bedroom flats to three-bedroom lofts.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2002
- Start Living Together: 2004
- Visitors accepted: Yes, rarely
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.easternvillage.org/
- Contact Name: Steven Greenwaters
- Phone: 202-643-2866
- Community Address:
7981 Eastern Avenue
Silver Spring, Maryland, 20910
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: Encouraged or suggested
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Monthly condo fees go towards building management and maintenance. The amount depends on unit size.
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Energy sources: Geothermal
- Current food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Food produced locally: 0%, or close to 0%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Library, Workshop, Large Scale Kitchen, Fire pit, Swingsets & play areas, Gym or sports area, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, exceptionally.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used often.
- Additional Diet Comments:
No community policy on alcohol use.
Smoking forbidden in common spaces. No policy for individual units.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Not a particularly spiritual or religious community
- Education Style(s): Private School off the property, Public Schooling, Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Coho/US
cohousing, multi-family, urban