Rutledge, Missouri, United States
- Last updated: November 19, 2018 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: March 17, 2006
family of friends living simply and close to nature
We are located on approximately twelve and a half acres of land in rural northeast Missouri positioned within a network of other intentional communities. We have an annual garden, a high-tunnel hoop house, and a young orchard of fruit, nut, and timber trees, all which we garden organically.
We have many systems in place, and we aim to keep our lifestyle simple, yet fulfilling. It means a lot to us to have control over our own time.
Dandelion is a sub-community of Red Earth Farms. (see redearthfarms.org) Our goal is to become a family-style group of 5-8 adults, and we are open to children as well. More living space will need to be constructed as our population increases. We have had folks come and go over the years, currently it is myself and my eleven year old daughter living here.
We are looking for self-motivated individuals to join and help grow this egalitarian, family-style sub-community. People who value simple living, personal growth, living in alignment with the universe, living closely with the earth, not spending a whole lot of money, regenerative/sustainable living, non-violent and direct, honest and open communication. Must be kid friendly. Prior community experience extremely helpful. Enjoy growing, preparing and eating healthy, delicious food a plus. Need to be self-motivated.
This is a somewhat rustic setting (no running water/hot water on demand/indoor shower, no refrigerator, no washer/dryer). We have telephone and internet, and a small off-grid electical system. We use hand tools and do all our cooking and heating with the sun and with wood gathered mainly from our property.
We want others to bring their skills and creative energy to come help Dandelion blossom into an active, thriving sub-community.
- article about Dandelion written in 2011: https://www.ic.org/work-less-simplify-more/:
This speaks a little about Dandelion’s values related to simple living.
- Some other articles can be found here: https://www.ic.org/author/kim-scheidt/
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2006
- Start Living Together: 2005
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.redearthfarms.org/dandelion/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DandelionREF/
- Other social: https://www.ic.org/author/kim-scheidt/
- Phone: 660-883-5870
- Community Address:
27543 County RD 207, Lot 2
Rutledge, Missouri, 63563
- Type(s): Commune (organized around sharing almost everything)
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: All or close to all
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Energy Infrastructure: We are totally off grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: Almost All, around 90%
- Energy sources: Solar
- Planned renewable energy generation: Almost All, around 90%
- Current food produced: Between 26-49%
- Planned food produced: From 50-75%
- Food produced locally: From 50-75%
- Common Facilities: Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Vehicle Share, Swimming pond or pool, Outdoor Kitchen, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Not good for most people.
- Shared meals: Approximately all dinners
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), Mostly Vegetarian
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Somewhat – there are some dietary restrictions or customs.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
We grow close to 100% of our own vegetables and some of our own dry beans which composes over 25% of our diet, and we hope to increase food production over time. We have neighbor friends we trade with for animal products such as lard and eggs.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs)
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Public Schooling, Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC)
Dancing Rabbit Ecovillage, Sandhill Farm, Red Earth Farms
permaculture, simple living, feminism, income sharing