Corvallis, Oregon, United States
- Last updated: November 13, 2017 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: October 27, 2004
We partner as ecovillage neighbors to:
–enrich our lives and refresh our spirits through connection and cooperation
–meet economic and environmental challenges with creativity and resilience
–share the power of community to cultivate social and ecological sustainability within CoHo, the broader community, and the world
Members of Coho Ecovillage are committed to living lightly on the land, embracing diversity and sharing with one another in mutual trust, respect, and support. All learn to listen carefully, use nonviolent communication, and make decisions by consensus.
Since moving into our community beginning October 2007, and we’ve been busy doing landscaping, building compost piles, planting gardens and an orchard, and getting to know each other better.
Our residents range in age from infants to grandparents–currently there are 105 folks in our community (two thirds live on-site; one-third who live off-site are Friends of CoHo, Associate Members, or Non-Resident owners). The overall adult to kid balance is about 3 to 1. We are a mix of income levels, abilities, and family composition. Twenty-six of our 34 townhouses and flats are handicap visitable, and all downstairs flats meet ADA-accessibility standards.
If you are interested, visit our website and/or come for a tour. We would love to hear from you.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1999
- Start Living Together: 2007
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.cohoecovillage.org/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/CoHoEcovillage/253515472266
- Contact Name: CoHo Ecovillage
- Community Address:
1975 SE Crystal Lake Dr
Corvallis, Oregon, 97333
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Small Town or Village
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 4
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Members contribute through a WorkShare system.
Members are charged a monthly HOA fee.
- Energy sources: Solar
- Planned renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Food produced locally: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Library, Workshop, Hot tub or hot springs, Large Scale Kitchen, Fire pit, Swingsets & play areas
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
We are creating gardens and an orchard.
Head Chefs work to meet special food needs.
Common meals are vegetarian and peanut-free.
No smoking policy in common buildings and areas.
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Private School off the property, Public Schooling
Community Network or Organization Affiliations