Camphill Village USA, Inc.
Copake, New York, United States
- Last updated: January 3, 2019 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: December 31, 1999
Camphill Village USA is a community of people, some with special needs, who live and work together caring for each other and the Earth.
Camphill Village USA is a unique and vibrant life-sharing community of 250 individuals, including 95 adults with developmental disabilities. Founded in Copake, New York in 1961, Camphill Village USA is the oldest and largest Camphill community in North America and sits on 615 acres of verdant hills, pastures, and beautiful gardens in southern Columbia County. Camphill Village is part of the international Camphill Movement, which is based on the insights of anthroposophy, the philosophy, world view, and spiritual path of Rudolf Steiner Ph.D. Life at Camphill Village is based on the active affirmation of the dignity, spiritual integrity, and valued contribution of each individual.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1959
- Start Living Together: 1961
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.camphillvillage.org/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CamphillVillageUSA
- Contact Name: Elvira Neal
- Phone: 518-329-4851
- Community Address:
84 Camphill Rd
Copake, New York, 12516-1400
- Type(s): Commune (organized around sharing almost everything), Spiritual or Religious Community
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: No
- Shared Income: All or close to all
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Co-worker volunteers do not collect wages. The community budget provides for all living needs.
Service to others and to the earth is the motivation to work in the Village. Everyone is expected to contribute at the level to which they are capable of contributing.
- Energy sources: Solar
- Common Facilities: Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Vehicle Share, Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Tractor & Farm Equipment, Stage or Auditorium, Fire pit, Swingsets & play areas, Waterfront access, Gym or sports area, Internet
- Shared meals: 1-3 times per month
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals)
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
All meals are shared within each extended family household.
We practice biodynamic agriculture.
- Education Style(s): Private School off the property
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
Camphill Association of North America (CANA)
Camphill Village, Newton Dee, Camphill Village Minnesota, Inc., Camphill Village Kimberton Hills, Camphill Special School, Camphill Soltane, Camphill Communities in Britain and Ireland, Association of, Camphill Communities California, Beannachar Camphill Community
camphill, biodynamics, social therapy