Bread and Roses – Base community (Brot & Rosen)
D-22177 Hamburg, Germany
- Last updated: January 7, 2019 (3 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: December 31, 1999
Community household with homeless refugees and migrants. Lifestyle of solidarity and sustainability.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1993
- Start Living Together: 1996
- Visitors accepted: Yes, rarely
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.brot-und-rosen.de/
- Phone: +49-40-69702085
- Mailing Address:
- Type(s): Commune (organized around sharing almost everything), Spiritual or Religious Community
- Programs & Activities: Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Home for homeless refugees
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: No
- Shared Income: All or close to all
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 20
- Open to members with existing debt: No
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current renewable energy generation: 50-75%
- Energy sources: We buy electrical energy from “Naturstrom”
- Planned renewable energy generation: 100%
- Current food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Food produced locally: Between 26-49%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Vehicle Share, Library, Workshop, Large Scale Kitchen, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, both the community and individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), Mostly Vegetarian, Opportunivore (dumpster diving, nature harvesting, etc.), Halal
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Somewhat – there are some dietary restrictions or customs.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Christian
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: Yes
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Partial, Special, or Limited Community Plan
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
Catholic Worker, Church & Peace
Catholic Worker Movement, Open Door Community / GA, Jubilee Partners / GA, Kommunität Imshausen, Basisgemeinde Wulfshagenerhütten, Laurentiuskonvent
Fair Housing Laws
This community acknowledges that their listing does not include any potential violations of the Fair Housing Law, or that they do not provide housing. For any questions about this topic please see our Content Policies and contact FIC with any questions or concerns: [email protected].
Ecumenical, Christian, Solidarity, Migration, Refugees,