East Lansing, Michigan, United States
- Last updated: January 9, 2019 (1 second ago)
- Listing created on: December 31, 1999
Bower is a co-op house that feels like a home! While it’s close enough to MSU’s campus to walk or ride a bike to class, it’s far enough away from the hustle and bustle of a college town. We’re a vegetarian based co-op with a meal plan including vegetarian/vegan dinners 5 days a week. We love to play video games, have open mic nights, play with our cats, and have potlucks every Thursday. At 19 members, Bower is a little smaller than some of the more popular houses, but we still love to bond and have fun together as housemates. We work hard to be sustainable and environmentally friendly by having our own compost and garden, and by recycling! Bower is a great place to meet people and get adjusted to the East Lansing area! If you want to live in a place with a diverse group of caring, open minded people, Bower is the place to be!
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1971
- Start Living Together: 1971
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.msu.coop/bower
- Contact Name: Bower House
- Phone: 517-355-8313
- Community Address:
127 Whitehills Dr
East Lansing, Michigan, 48823-2725
- Type(s): Student Housing or Student Co-Op
- Programs & Activities: School, Educational Institute or Experience, Organization, Resource, or Network, Festivals, Conferences, Events
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: By an individual community leader
- Identified Leader: Yes, multiple identified leaders
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Join Fee: $405
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: Partial share of income
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 2
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: Between 26-49%
- Common Facilities: Garden(s), Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Vegetarian (no animal meat; dairy and eggs okay)
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used often.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Additional Diet Comments:
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (includes “all religions”)
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
Michigan State University Student Housing Corporation
Vesta Co-op, New Community Cooperative, MSU Student Housing Cooperative, Ferency House, Elsworth Cooperative
student, co-op, NASCO, MSU, Lansing, Michigan, East Lansing