Belfast Cohousing & Ecovillage
Belfast, Maine, United States
- Last updated: May 24, 2018 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: September 17, 2007
The mission of Belfast Cohousing & Ecovillage is to be a model environmentally sustainable, affordable, multi-generational cohousing community that is easily accessible to Belfast, includes land reserved for agricultural use and open space, and is an innovative housing option for rural Maine.
We are a group of roughly 70 people from many walks of life. We are business owners, educators, naturalists, gardeners, builders, farmers, doctors, writers, musicians, IT professionals, and children of all ages. Our 42-acre community is located just two miles from Belfast’s downtown and harbor. We are within 1.5 miles of elementary and middle schools, Cornerspring Montessori Elementary School, the University of Maine Hutchinson Center, a YMCA, grocery and other retail stores.
All of our homes are highly energy efficient, with triple-pane windows and doors and oriented towards the sun. Two-thirds of the homes have solar systems, making them near net-zero for energy consumption. Personal garden plots are available, and we have a community orchard. We also have a 3-acre worker share CSA farm on our property, where neighbors gather each week to harvest veggies and maintain the land.
Our 4,000 sq ft common house is complete, with a living room, dining room, playroom, guest rooms, and root cellar. We share a couple home-cooked meals weekly, as well as educational, environmental, and social events.
We currently have the following units available for sale:
-a 500 square foot, 1-bedroom unit near the common house
Please visit our website for more information on visiting us or to learn more about the available homes.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2007
- Start Living Together: 2012
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://mainecohousing.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Belfast-Area-Cohousing-Ecovillage/116517236969
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/mainecohousing
- Contact Name: Lindsey Piper
- Phone: 207-338-9200
- Community Address:
Belfast Cohousing & Ecovillage
25 Village Rd
Belfast, Maine, 04915
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Sociocracy
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current renewable energy generation: 26-49%
- Energy sources: Solar
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Large Scale Kitchen, Tractor & Farm Equipment, Fire pit, Swingsets & play areas, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, both the community and individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Vegetarian Only (no animal meat; dairy and eggs okay) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegetarian, Mostly Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs), Christian, Buddhist, Jewish, Unitarian Universalist, Mixed Eastern Philosophy or Practice, Not a particularly spiritual or religious Community
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Private School off the property, Public Schooling
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
energy efficient, passive solar homes