Awalau Farm aka Avalon
Haiku, Hawaii, United States
- Last updated: January 30, 2018 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: January 30, 2018
We at awalau seek to bring people closer to nature and to create non verbal language based interactions with animals. We seek to create a environ for all life to be respected.
Awalau farm or Avalon is a farm based community in the hills of haiku Hawaii. We are vegetarian and raise friendly animals to help study natural interactions on common ground.
We have caves, waterfalls, spring water, 150 fruit trees, but not yet all bearing. We put on a yearly fairy festival called myths of Avalon and are the only distributor of cosmetic grade Hawaiian clay. Jeremy safron the founder is an author various books & teacher of martial arts, raw food, fasting, alternative & off grid living, & natural healing.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2008
- Start Living Together: 2008
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://awalaufarm.com
- Business, Project, or Organization: http://hawaiianclay.com
- Contact Name: Jeremy
- Community Address:
1008 awalau rd
Haiku, Hawaii, 98708
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability)
- Programs & Activities: Transition Town (post-petroleum and off-grid communities), School, Educational Institute or Experience, Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, WWOOF’ing, Guest Farming, Festivals, Conferences, Events
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: By an individual community leader
- Identified Leader: Yes
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Additional Comments:
All voices are heard & honored.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: No
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
$200 tool deposit
- Energy Infrastructure: We are totally off grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 100%
- Energy sources: Solar, Biogas
- Planned renewable energy generation: 100%
- Current food produced: Between 26-49%
- Planned food produced: Almost All, around 90%
- Food produced locally: Almost All, around 90%
- Common Facilities: Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Swimming pond or pool, Hot tub or hot springs, Outdoor Kitchen, Stage or Auditorium, Fire pit, Swingsets & play areas, Recreational vehicles, Waterfront access, Gym or sports area, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for some people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Vegetarian Only (no animal meat; dairy and eggs okay) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegetarian
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Somewhat – there are some dietary restrictions or customs.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: No, this community does not permit alcohol use.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs), Not a particularly spiritual or religious community, Buddhist, Jewish, Wiccan, Sufi, Native American, Paganism or Earth Religions, Rainbow Family, Bahai
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Private School off the property, Public Schooling, Up to each family or individual
- Expected Healthcare Practices:
No staph or bugs allowed
Must leave if issue is over 1 week
Can return when clean
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Medicine tribe, Center for symbolic studies, hale akua
Vegetarian, yoga, kung fu, Hawaii, clay, biochar, alpaca, Avalon, medicine tribe