Audre Lorde Cooperative House
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
- Last updated: December 30, 2015 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: December 31, 1999
House members contribute roughly 5-6 hours of their time each week for work jobs such as cooking, washing dishes, cleaning various common spaces, paying bills, grocery shopping, serving as a house representative for the board and various committees of Madison Community Cooperative, and many other jobs that go toward the upkeep and continuance of the household.
Everyone in the house pays $95 a month to purchase bulk food that is mostly organic and locally grown when possible; we strive to buy from vendors that are owned and run by people of color and/or women. A vegan or vegetarian meal is cooked every night of the week around 7 p.m., except on Saturdays.
We have house meetings every other Sunday night that can last anywhere from forty-five minutes to three hours. These meetings are a chance for us to communicate with one another as a group about any issues, problems, plans, or changes, in a forum that insures everyone an equal chance to be heard.
Contact the Audre Lorde residence at 608-251-2667 or [email protected]
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1996
- Start Living Together: 1996
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.madisoncommunity.coop/house.cfm?HouseID=2
- Contact Name: Membership Coordinator
- Phone: 608-251-2667
- Community Address:
625 N. Frances St
Madison, Wisconsin, 53703-1106
- Type(s): Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling), Student Housing or Student Co-Op
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Additional Comments:
If you are a new member of MCC/NASCO, there are currently (as of 2005) $76 worth of one-time membership fees, and then a $50 deposit to Emma’s and a $200 deposit to MCC.
Monthly payments for own room, as well as $90 for food and supplies
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Shared meals: Approximately all dinners
- Dietary Practice: Mostly Vegetarian
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
We support local organic farms as much as possible. There is always a vegan option for community dinners
Smoking is not allowed in common space (in house), with the exception of the porch during occasional parties!
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
Madison Community Cooperatives
Madison Community Cooperative (MCC), Avalon Cooperative House, The Phoenix Cooperative House, Sofia Cooperative House, Syntropy Cooperative House, Ofek Shalom Cooperative House, Lothlórien Cooperative House, Hypatia Cooperative House, Friends’ Cooperative House, Ambrosia Cooperative House, International Cooperative House (ICH)