Kimberton, Pennsylvania, United States
- Last updated: November 27, 2018 (3 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: December 31, 1999
We at Altair are forming a cohousing community built around the following objectives:
-A diverse community providing the opportunity for all generations, economic levels, and religious, ethnic, and racial backgrounds to live together in supportive relationships.
-Where the architectural design promotes a comfortable balance between community interaction and privacy.
-Where attractive homes and common facilities will be designed on a model that is ecologically sound, emphasizing moderate consumption, resource sustainability, and horticulture.
Altair is going into its 19th year, and currently consists of four families who have invested in the project, four other member families. (up to House #14 committed on paper). We follow the traditional Cohousing model, but are more of an EcoVillage. We are looking to build 35 units for multi-family, ranging in size from studios to four-bedroom units. We have purchased an 8 acre site in Kimberton village and have purchased homes adjacent to the open land to assure we have access. Currently, we are working with the Township to update the Zoning to include an EcoVillage.
We hold two meetings a month – a Discussion Group and a Site Development business meeting. We are soliciting new members and friends to help with the pre-approval costs.
Our goal is to build homes that are close to LEEDS platinum, with close to net-zero energy heating and cooling. We would like to be able to help provide housing for the Waldorf School and the Camphill Village close by.
We anticipate having a Getting-it-Built workshop and design retreats for the site, Common House, and housing designs in the coming year. We have contacted banks and foundations to help with the funding.
We seek people of all ages and income levels. We have a competent developer, a zoning consultant, a land planner, and an architect. We have formed a non-profit to create a funding stream to support local members. At the moment, we need a solid group of investors! You can visit our website or contact us by email or phone.
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 1999
- Start Living Together: 2020
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.altairecovillage.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/altairecovillage?ref=hl&ref_type=bookmark
- Contact Name: Altair EcoVillage
- Phone: 610-220-6172
- Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 353
Kimberton, Pennsylvania, 19442
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Programs & Activities: School, Educational Institute or Experience
- Location: Small Town or Village
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
We are re-examining consensus and exploring Sociocracy. We may hire a process person to help with meetings, decision-making, facilitation. We have a Project Manager representing the residents and interfacing with the professional team.
- Join Fee: $1000
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $25
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: Encouraged or suggested
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes (some debt)
- Additional Comments:
Work Fair share program to be determined. We have been using the Phoenixville Area Time Bank to supplement our shortage of members to help with marketing, graphics, and other tasks.
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current renewable energy generation: 26-49%
- Energy sources: Solar, Clean Energy from the Grid
- Planned renewable energy generation: Almost All, around 90%
- Current food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Food produced locally: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Vehicle Share, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Large Scale Kitchen
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 1-3 times per month
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Somewhat – there are some dietary restrictions or customs.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Additional Diet Comments:
We are open to determining how are common meals are made and what they consist of.
We want plenty of garden space available.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Anthroposophical community in the neighborhood
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
- Additional Comments:
As the Contributing Membership grows, we expect to discuss and agree on how we want to live together.
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Coho/US, Phoenixville Area Transition, Phoenixville Area Time Bank
Kimberton Village Business Association
sustainable, EcoVillage, Cohousing