Julian Woods Community
Julian, Pennsylvania, United States
- Last updated: February 28, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: December 31, 1999
Respect and sustain our selves and our living environment
We own and operate a living machine in two greenhouses that constitutes our wastewater-treatment system with almost year-round growing space. We have many gardens (and many deer), a recreational pond, and an interest in finding others to continue to build our community, especially young adults. Although there are currently no open building lots, that may change, or already existing homes could become available.
We are artists, teachers, carpenters and builders, an accountant, a forester, and a mechanic/designer. Tom’s Community Woodworks repairs and refinishes furniture. Barbara has created a beautiful space for meditation and yoga in O-AN Zendo. Debbie grows flowers in and outside the greenhouses for the local farmers’ markets.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1970
- Start Living Together: 1970
- Visitors accepted: Yes, rarely
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Contact Name: Community Inquiries
- Phone: 814-355-5755
- Community Address:
215 Julian Woods Ln
Julian, Pennsylvania, 16844-8617
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Programs & Activities: Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: By a board, council, group of elders, or leadership group
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
We have a 5 member board that makes decisions by modified consensus. 1-2 board members are elected by the membership each year.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $65
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: Encouraged or suggested
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes (some debt)
- Additional Comments:
A fee, currently about $30,000, gives an incoming family a building site with water and connection to water treatment facilities. The fee is determined by the level of investment already made by current members. This fee will part of the purchase price of a house/lot.
We have monthly dues of about $65/adult member or adult resident
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Energy sources: Solar, Geothermal
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Food produced locally: Between 26-49%
- Common Facilities: Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Swimming pond or pool, Tractor & Farm Equipment
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 1-3 times per month
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Whole foods, local foods
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices)
- Education Style(s): Public Schooling, Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual