Madison, Ohio, United States
- Last updated: March 14, 2018 (1 second ago)
- Listing created on: March 14, 2018
Friends living in community together and enjoying life, striving towards a joyous sustainable existence.
We aspire to be a small coliving community of friends who enjoy practicing permaculture together. We have had a lot of joy in living with others in the past, gardening, playing board games, cooking awesome food together, playing music. We hope to welcome others into our lives who are looking for the same. We are especially hoping to find people who have land based ambitions which we can help to meet.
Steve is a mathematician, Lorna is a veterinarian. We are both interested in math and science, sustainable living, board games, singing, playing instruments. Steve plays brazilian jiujitsu. Lorna is into dog training. We are pretty fun people to hang out with.
We have a few fenced acres planted with nut trees on 40′ centers (chestnut, hickory, heartnut, butternut, pecan, black walnut english walnut), and fruit trees (pawpaw, persimmon, juneberry, seabuckthorn, apple, asian pear, etc). These trees are all just yearlings right now. Irrigation system is in place for these plants. If yield tables are correct, we should be able to get all of our calories from these plantings in around a decade (for about 8 people).
We have a very nice little house with 3 bedrooms. We occupy one of the bedrooms, and are open to single people, couples, triads or whatever filling the remaining two rooms.
We are also planning on improving the house with most of our excess wages. Adding superinsultion, making the house all electric, adding solar panels, getting a solar vehicle etc.
We both do not drink alcohol, smoke, or do any drugs. We are not interested in living with anyone who does: sorry about that! We are friends with people who do, no judgement, just would prefer not to live in a context where these things are present.
We are both pretty liberal. Open to being friends with, and living with people with differing political views, but you would have to enjoy arguing about this stuff if so (which we would be fine with!).
Also, while we have not planted any GMOs we are also open to the idea of planting GMOs (for instance, the CUNY GMO American chestnut). We also use Roudnup to control some persistent perennial weeds on our property. We are open to accepting people with different views on this, and in the spirit of consensus based decision making we would be willing to stop using roundup/ not plant any GMOs if we can manage without them. Hopefully this is not a deal breaker!
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2018
- Start Living Together: 2018
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Contact Name: Steven Gubkin
- Community Address:
5410 Lockwood Road
- Type(s): Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling)
- Location: Small Town or Village
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 10
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned renewable energy generation: 100%
- Current food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned food produced: 100%
- Food produced locally: From 50-75%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Vehicle Share, Outbuilding(s), Gym or sports area, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, exceptionally.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: Approximately all dinners
- Dietary Practice: No restriction on diet
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: No, this community does not permit alcohol use.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Expected Healthcare Practices:
We expect that individuals are vaccinated against common illnesses, will vaccinate their children, will vaccinate livestock.
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual