Woodburn Hill Farm
Mechanicsville, Maryland, United States
- Last updated: January 14, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: December 31, 1999
Earth Based — Economical Living
Lifestyles here reflect our values of cooperative and ecological living, diversity, and nonviolence. We meet regularly to conduct necessary business and occasionally to share our hearts and concerns for better community process and communication. Decisions are made through consensus. We often celebrate earth cycles at equinox, solstice, cross-quarter days like Samhain and Beltane, etc.
Presently our eclectic, multiracial group brings many talents home. We are artists, teachers, acupuncture and massage therapists, and chimneysweeps. And yoga instructors, antique dealers, RNs, and musicians. Some are activists, writers, and environmentalists.
We hold the land through a Chapter S corporation. Residents are encouraged, though not required, to become shareholders. All pay a monthly “rent” that usually covers our operating costs. Our six residences run the spectrum from 50-year-old Amish farmhouses to renovated chicken houses to modular geothermal-heated dwellings.
While WHF is an established cooperative, we seek to grow more sustainable. With this awareness, we strive to become better in building community and are in search of like-minded innovators. We are open to youthful energies of all ages—singles, couples, families.
Our preference is for inquiries from people who live nearby in VA, DC, and MD, especially folks who value cooperative living, ecological and social justice, spirituality, and collaborative working.
Please call or email us to explore more about Woodburn Hill Farm. And check us out on Facebook.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1975
- Start Living Together: 1975
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Community Address:
27290 Woodburn Hill Rd
Mechanicsville, Maryland, 20659
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Additional Comments:
Couple hours per month plus seasonal workparties
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 26-49%
- Energy sources: Biomass, Geothermal
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Food produced locally: Between 26-49%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Tractor & Farm Equipment, Fire pit
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: Rarely
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Buddhist, Quaker, Native American, Unitarian Universalist
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Public Schooling
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Washington, DC, Maryland, Virginia, rural, co-operative