Osler, Saskatchewan, Canada
- Last updated: January 21, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: July 10, 2010
Create and sustain an off-grid community, composed of positive, friendly, compatible people.
Community named after Thoreau’s book “Walden”, due to themes of 1) Retreat 2) Respecting, Admiring and Learning from Nature 3) Increased Self-Reliance (or Self-Sufficiency) 4) Objective Analysis of everything 5) Introspection and Self-Discovery. Not a shared-income community, but the costs, work and planning, etc, must of course be shared.
Cooperative, wholesome, intelligent, joyful, creative, practical, sustainable living is the goal. Sense of humour required and high tolerance of varied spiritual beliefs and practices, and of people with none. Making a living off the land is a good option and there are outside jobs to be found. Good if you have rural skills, but willingness to learn is the main thing. I have a fair bit of rural know-how and I study homesteading topics, etc.
Lots of space in this region and lots of natural beauty. I hope to locate in or reasonably near the beautiful, extensive northern forests and lakes of this province, perhaps within 150 miles of the small city of Prince Albert. Land to be purchased or leased.
Currently, we have four distinct seasons here. Normally, winter is long, but can be enjoyable. There are many interesting, enjoyable things to do, indoors and out. Summers normally nice, with up to 20 hrs daylight. Many types of vegetables and other things grow well here. I keep honeybees.
Nothing has been started as of this writing, so discussing things is the first step towards any possibilities, plans and acquisition of land.
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2016
- Start Living Together: 2016
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Contact Name: Howard Boldt
- Mailing Address:
Osler, Saskatchewan, S0K 3A0
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property), Unspecified, or Other
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Voting (majority or super-majority rule)
- Identified Leader: No
- Additional Comments:
Community not yet formed. Governing structure to be decided. I think it will be consensus when possible, but majority rule and the desires of the longest term members will decide when consensus is not possible.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
To be decided.
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs), Not a particularly spiritual or religious community, Christian, Buddhist, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Wiccan, Protestant, Lutheran, Catholic, Emissaries, Quaker, Sufi, Native American, Hutterian Brethren, Unitarian Universalist, Paganism or Earth Religions, Mixed Eastern Philosophy or Practice, Hare Krishna, Rainbow Family, Ananda Community, Bahai, Atheist, Agnostic, Humanist
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Private Schooling at the Community, Private School off the property, Public Schooling, Up to each family or individual