Village Terraces Cohousing Neighborhood
Black Mountain, North Carolina, United States
- Last updated: January 1, 2019 (3 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: February 1, 2005
The cohousing style provides “apartments” that can include private kitchenettes and baths, with the added benefit of shared common spaces such as a large common kitchen and bath, common gardens, orchards, and a pasture for dairy animals. We also have access to Earthaven’s Council Hall and other community facilities, as well as shared use of most of Earthaven’s 329 acres. Our legal entity is a housing cooperative.
We share all of Earthaven’s ecological and spirit-guided values and agreements. In addition, the following values are particularly important to us:
• A desire to raise children together in a neighborhood and village context.
• Honest and responsible communication with an active willingness to resolve conflicts in a healthy manner.
• A commitment to consciously and lovingly raising both plants and animals for food.
• Love and acceptance of ourselves, our bodies, and the cycles of life and death.
• Cooperative living in common-walled buildings built with local materials.
To learn more about the process of joining Village Terraces, read our Initial Contact Letter on our website.
Joining Village Terraces Neighborhood means being a part of Earthaven Ecovillage. Please explore the village through our website, a tour, and extended visits.
- Earthaven Ecovillage:
This describes Earthaven Ecovillage.
- Village Terraces at Earthaven Ecovillage:
Earthaven.org is full of detailed info on Earthaven Ecovillage and Village Terraces describes our neighborhood in specific.
- Village Terraces Neighborhood Gardens:
This shows photos of our wonderful home gardens.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2000
- Start Living Together: 2001
- Visitors accepted: Yes, rarely
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.villageterraces.org
- Community Address:
Village Terraces Cohousing Neighborhood
21 Benchmark Rd
Black Mountain, North Carolina, 28711
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property), Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling)
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $200
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 1
- Additional Comments:
Yearly Maintenance and one time administrative fee of $4000 paid through labor over time. Also, Earthaven has a labor requirement as well and since we’re part of Earthaven, that would apply.
Membership fee to Earthaven ($8,000). No joining fee for the neighborhood but members must purchase a unit which includes fees for all common owned infrastructure.
There are utility and maintenance fees for common property. We also have a garden cooperative, washing machine cooperative and others that are strictly optional.
- Energy Infrastructure: We are totally off grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: Almost All, around 90%
- Energy sources: Solar, Hydro-Electric
- Planned renewable energy generation: 100%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: Up to 25%
- Food produced locally: Between 26-49%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Large Scale Kitchen, Fire pit
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Not good for most people.
- Shared meals: Rarely
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Large garden, eggs, orchards, some dairy.
We’re all very excited about Nourishing Traditions which embraces a wide range of choices.
We are all regular meat eaters.
We enjoy wine with group dinners.
There are no smokers in our group.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Not a particularly spiritual or religious community, Paganism or Earth Religions, Eclectic (integrates pieces from many religions)
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Global Ecovillage Network (GEN), Coho/US
School of Integrated Living; Earthaven Ecovillage