The Sanctuary — Vegan Community
Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca, Mexico
- Last updated: December 28, 2015 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: January 18, 2013
To create a sacred space for health and happiness.
The Sanctuary is a place where people from all over the world come to heal themselves of whatever ails them physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.
The Sanctuary is a colonial 5-bedroom home with an RV in the front and a garden and a casita in the back. We can fit up to 18 people. We are located in a neighborhood called Brisas de Zicatela in Puerto Escondido in Southern Mexico.
We are a vegan community and we have meals together 3 times per day, everyday except Sunday, when people are on their own to fast, coconut water fast, or eat fruit or leftovers.
The Sanctuary is for both health and spiritual growth and healing. We have many healing modalities in the home that are open for our guests and volunteers to use.
We have meditation and yoga every morning except Sunday.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2012
- Start Living Together: 2010
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://puertoretreats.com
- Facebook: http://facebook.com/healingretreat
- Other social: http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-sanctuary-puerto-escondido
- Contact Name: Pete Adams
- Phone: +52 (1) 954 110 4020
- Community Address:
Calle Quintana Roo, esq. Veracruz
Brisas de Zicatela, La Punta
Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca,
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling), Spiritual or Religious Community
- Programs & Activities: Ethical Business, Investment Group, or Alternative Currency, Organization, Resource, or Network, WWOOF’ing, Guest Farming, Festivals, Conferences, Events, vegan meals, yoga, meditation
- Location: Suburban
- Decision Making: By a board, council, group of elders, or leadership group
- Identified Leader: Yes
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $500
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Different types of work-exchange agreements are possible.
Please visit puertoretreats.com for more information.
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Current food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned food produced: Between 26-49%
- Food produced locally: Between 26-49%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Internet, kitchen, living room, dining room
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: No, it is slow.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for some people.
- Shared meals: Approximately all meals
- Dietary Practice: Local (food sourced within 150 miles), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Vegan Only (plants only, no animal products) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegan., Raw or Mostly Raw, Dairy-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Yes – we all share a common diet.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: No, this community does not permit alcohol use.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Additional Diet Comments:
We are all vegan.
We have a morning smoothie, a lunch @ 1, dinner @ 6:30. Fruits available for snacking.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs), Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, Sufi, Mixed Eastern Philosophy or Practice, Hare Krishna, Humanist
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling
- Expected Healthcare Practices:
Usually we use natural remedies first, and in a pinch we use Western medicine.
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
mexico yoga, meditation retreat, yoga retreat, puerto escondido, vegan, plant-based, yoga, health