The House of Commons
Calgary, AB, Alberta, Canada
- Last updated: April 26, 2018 (1 second ago)
- Listing created on: September 6, 2015
We as a house are committed to:
– Relationship: with one another and others
– Prayer: together & individually
– Service: to one another & to those in need
– Being a Resource: to those around us
– Participating in the Kingdom of God: through loving one another, inviting in the stranger, upholding the value & dignity of those around us, reducing our environmental impact, sharing our collective resources, planting gardens, creating music & working against systems which oppress people (and much more!)
We enjoy meeting people from every walk of life and sharing in hot beverages, theological discussions, church (universal), house concerts in our livingroom, bike rides, creating art, gardening, raising chickens, self-expression, snowball fights, being nice.
We are a collection of individuals who believe that each person is valuable and deserves to be treated with dignity, respect and care. We invite all into our home for meals, gardening, prayer, among other things, and over the years we have build quite the little family around us.
We do our best to walk alongside our neighbours in solidarity, we uphold those around us who are faced with daily injustices, we plant gardens to participate in healing of creation, we invite anyone to our table to eat amongst us, we take in the sick and care for them, and we respond to the needs of one another and others as best as we can.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2007
- Start Living Together: 2009
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: https://thehouseofcommons.wordpress.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-House-of-Commons/202062016479155?fref=ts
- Other social: https://www.instagram.com/the_house_of_commons/
- Contact Name: Megan, Sarah
- Community Address:
6435 Bow Crescent NW
Calgary, AB, Alberta, T3B 2C5
- Type(s): Commune (organized around sharing almost everything), Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling), Spiritual or Religious Community
- Programs & Activities: Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Festivals, Conferences, Events
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Additional Comments:
Everyone is given a chance to share their thoughts and opinions with the group and when we are unable to come to an agreement we bring in outside support from our mentors.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: Partial share of income
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 8
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: Up to 25%
- Food produced locally: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Fire pit, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, exceptionally.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Vegetarian Only (no animal meat; dairy and eggs okay) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegetarian, Mostly Vegetarian, Vegan Only (plants only, no animal products) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegan., Opportunivore (dumpster diving, nature harvesting, etc.), Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, we try our best to support everyones dietary needs where we are able to
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Somewhat – there are some dietary restrictions or customs.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Christian
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: Yes
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC)
intentional community, house concerts, gardening, outreach, free meals, couchsurfers,