The Hive Co-op
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
- Last updated: February 28, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: February 1, 2016
An independent housing co-op in Ann Arbor organized around the core values of environmental sustainability and community living.
The Hive is an independent housing co-op in Ann Arbor organized around the core values of environmental sustainability and community living. We are a group equity, communal living and dining co-op welcoming all. We started The Hive in 2013 because we wanted to live in a co-op not specifically for students, and there were not many around. We are currently renting a house on the Old West Side of Ann Arbor, and we are hoping to buy a house or houses soon.
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling)
- Programs & Activities: Ethical Business, Investment Group, or Alternative Currency
- Location: Small Town
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Join Fee: $100
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $460
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 2
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 100%
- Energy sources: Clean Energy from the Grid
- Planned renewable energy generation: 100%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: Between 26-49%
- Food produced locally: From 50-75%
- Common Facilities: Fire pit, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, exceptionally.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Mostly Vegetarian, Mostly Vegan, Opportunivore (dumpster diving, nature harvesting, etc.), Raw or Mostly Raw, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used often.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Not a particularly spiritual or religious community, Christian, Jewish, Paganism or Earth Religions, Atheist, Agnostic, Humanist, Our own celebrations and rituals
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
co-op, sustainability, community, environment, local food