The Barnyard Homestead
Kalispell, Montana, United States
- Last updated: January 1, 2018 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: July 17, 2016
Our mission is to live independently, but with community values and support on a Godly foundation. We are not opposed to worldly comforts, but we do believe that hard work, trust and honesty are core values that have been lost on many. Our goals are to build a sustainable micro farm and ranch that can cover all the living, building and property expenses of the farm. Every family will have joint ownership in the land and community buildings and have responsibilities on the farm. This farm will not be an attempt to seclude its members from the world but a place for some to fit into it in a way we understand. Jobs will be necessary for a time along with many other things. But in the end our mission is to create life long relationships with other families of like minds and develop a fully functional micro farm that sustains its members.
We are seeking to develop four homes with young families built ans sustained by our members along with a fully functional farm center on the goal of self sustainability and individual living. Co-housing seems to be the best definition we are working to develop. In 2020 we would like to buy our-right or put a down payment on 20 acres in the beautiful Flathead Valley of norther Montana where we live and jointly own and build it with three other families. The property will house each family a horse stable, pasture, both an animal and hay barn, a large garden space for community and market gardening, a large chicken coop and a few other buildings. Expenses can come from the farm and or outside work we are not opposed to modern convinces. The biggest reason we would like to see this collaboration develop is because we personal know how hard it is to grow a family in this day and age. Our economy is failing many of us and if you dream on owning your own home and living on an active and working farm this is the alternative way without inheriting or having hundreds or thousands of dollars to buy it. We are looking for the young struggling couples that wish to have a family, grow in the lord, home school there children and have community with neighbors that they can trust and rely on. We are one family of four. My wife and I and our two children. We want our children to grow old with life long friends that are not molded to society and the worlds way of life and belief. We hunt and fish for food, gather firewood for our homes and additional income and work hard to maintain strong connection with grounded living and moral principals. Our farm will consist of horses, cows, goats, chickens, ducks rabbits, dogs, cats, pigs and most likely other animals that will come along the way. As this is a developing opportunity there is room for your say and in the next few years we hope that we find and get to know the family’s we wish to development life long friendships with. Contact us and learn so much more.
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2016
- Start Living Together: 2020
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Contact Name: Chadlee
- Mailing Address:
PO Box 10302
Kalispell, Montana, 59904
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property), Unspecified, or Other, Transition Town or Eco-Neighborhood (focused on energy/resource resiliency)
- Programs & Activities: Transition Town (post-petroleum and off-grid communities), School, Educational Institute or Experience, Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship
- Location: To be Determined
- Decision Making: By a board, council, group of elders, or leadership group
- Identified Leader: Yes
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
- Join Fee: $5000
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $0
- Shared Income: Partial share of income
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 4
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
In the course of our economic status we strive to financially support the community with our efforts on the farm through produce for farmers market, crafts, trades and individual sources.
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned renewable energy generation: 50-75%
- Current food produced: Between 26-49%
- Planned food produced: Almost All, around 90%
- Food produced locally: Almost All, around 90%
- Common Facilities: Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Vehicle Share, Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Outdoor Kitchen, Tractor & Farm Equipment, Fire pit, Swingsets & play areas, Waterfront access, Internet, Barnyard and Stables
- Internet Available: No
- Internet Fast?: There is no internet access at our community.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Dietary Practice: Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Opportunivore (dumpster diving, nature harvesting, etc.), Gluten-Free, Food Eater 🙂
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Additional Diet Comments:
If you have special diets they will be your own to manage. Potlucks are encouraged with consideration to all diets, but what you eat in your own home is your business.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Christian, King James Bible Believer
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Private Schooling at the Community, Private School off the property, Public Schooling, Up to each family or individual
- Expected Healthcare Practices:
Just maintain good hygienic care and healthy habits. Absolutely no illegal drugs of any kind including marijuana. If you take medicine from a doctor that is each individual’s choice and shouldn’t be frowned upon or judged.
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
- Additional Comments:
We will help any member find there lifestyle needs and accommodations.
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC)
Off Grid, Farming, Ranching, Home Schooling, Homesteading, Barnyard, Livestock, Gardening, Christian