Sweetwater Zen Center
National City, California, United States
- Last updated: September 29, 2015 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: June 26, 2013
Meditation in Community
We are affiliated with the Zen Peacemakers , the White Plum Asanga and the Soto School. We follow the Zen Peacemaker Path.
We would love to welcome you to the Introduction to Zen practice on Sunday.
Sweetwater Zen Center offers a traditional Zen Buddhist schedule with opportunities for group meditation as well as koan practice with a certified Zen teacher. We have a residential program as well as offering programs to the larger community.
The Native American practice of council is a very important part of our growth as an intentional community.
We recognize that there is more than one way to see the oneness of all things. Students are encouraged to explore practices from traditional and contemporary spiritual paths.
We are actively involved in the larger community. Events are open for all people interested in realization. Our members are also engaged in activities such as prison work, inter-faith groups, and peace activism.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1999
- Start Living Together: 2000
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.swzc.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/swzencenter
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/SWZC
- Contact Name: Information
- Phone: 619-477-0390
2727 Highland Ave
National City, California, 91950
- Type(s): Spiritual or Religious Community or Organization
- Decision Making: Voting (majority or super-majority rule)
- Identified Leader: Yes
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: Members have completely independent finances
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
3 hours a month
Membership fee is $50 monthly
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Mostly Vegetarian
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Not at all important – people may eat however they individually choose.
- Alcohol Use: No~ this community does not permit alcohol use.
- Tobacco Use: No~ this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Community meals are seasonal
We offer sobriety support and do not restrict private consumption.
Smoking only allowed on street.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Buddhist, Native American
- Education Style(s): Up to each individual
Zen, Buddhist, Community, Sangha, San Diego, National City, Meditation