Bellingham, Washington, United States
- Last updated: March 24, 2018 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: July 16, 2009
We are a collective striving to live together with loving kindness and intention. We are a community of artists, ecologists and students. We live together for the enjoyment of community.
The house has been active since 2007. The community began developing through a weekly gathering 3 years prior, with no community house intended. For our first 5 years, our “Alternative Library” made the house a public space. The “Alt Lib” has sense found it’s permanent location nearby. Other projects which have originated from our house include the B-Ham Friday Food Not Bombs, which feeds free vegan meals downtown weekly, and Bellingahm Body Rights (BodyRights.INFO), which organizes our local naked bike ride (BellinghamNakedBikeRide.com) among other body-positive campaigns. We have a healing room with tinctures, a massage table, and meditation/reiki space. We have a jam room with various musical instruments. Located in the center of town, easy biking distance to the ocean, university, downtown, and mountains!
We are open to hosting respectful and fun travelers for up to 5 days in exchange for work-trade, pending they have a host within the house. Contact us if you would like to visit. Membership and other requests are decided at house meetings, every Sunday at 7pm (8pm in summer). Meetings are open to the public, and a great way to meet us! Also ask us about events we have planned for the near future. We would love to see you!!
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2004
- Start Living Together: 2007
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Other social: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4DfMrlLkTU
- Contact Name: Sushi Tribe
- Phone: 360 734 2735
- Community Address:
717 North Forest St
Bellingham, Washington, 98225
- Type(s): Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling)
- Programs & Activities: Festivals, Conferences, Events
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Additional Comments:
There are some people who are more well versed with the by-laws, and only full members can vote, but that is as close as we get to a leadership group.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $300
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: Encouraged or suggested
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
The rent differs depending on what size of a room you are staying in. If you are just sleeping on a couch you don’t have to pay the “room fee”, only utilities and the “community space fee”. Utilities and membership numbers also make the rent fluctuate. People can get things taken off their rent for buying the house essential items.
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned renewable energy generation: 100%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: From 50-75%
- Food produced locally: Between 26-49%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Fire pit, Internet, Musical “Jam area”, apothecary and yoga/ massage room.
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: About once a week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Vegetarian Only (no animal meat; dairy and eggs okay) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegetarian, Mostly Vegetarian, Vegan Only (plants only, no animal products) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegan., Mostly Vegan, Opportunivore (dumpster diving, nature harvesting, etc.), Raw or Mostly Raw, Kosher, Halal, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Additional Diet Comments:
When cooking community meals we strive to make everyone included by making the big things vegan and other things dairy free or gluten free depending on what people need.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Christian, Buddhist, Wiccan, Protestant, Catholic, Unitarian Universalist, Paganism or Earth Religions, Mixed Eastern Philosophy or Practice, Rainbow Family, Atheist, Agnostic, Humanist
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
Rainbow Family, Working on building a local one.
The Oasis, Sprout House, Wyrm House, Bellingham Co-housing, Finney Farm
sushi, friendship, bellingham