Stone Soup Cooperative
Chicago, Illinois, United States
- Last updated: February 24, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: October 14, 2004
Joy and Justice
Stone Soup is made up of 38 members in three properties. Two houses are in Chicago’s Uptown neighborhood and the third is in the McKinley Park neighborhood. Communal dinners are held five nights a week, including a weekly Tuesday potluck that is open to the public (please call ahead).
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1996
- Start Living Together: 1997
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://stonesoupcoop.org/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lelandhouse/
- Phone: (312) 841-7374
- Community Address:
1430 West Leland Ave
Chicago, Illinois, 60640
- Type(s): Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling)
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Join Fee: $500
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $500
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 3
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
3-7 hours per week
$300 – $1000 Member Share
$400 – $640 Monthly Charges
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Library, Workshop, Large Scale Kitchen, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, exceptionally.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), Mostly Vegetarian
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Common meals are vegetarian, Individuals may prepare their own meals as they please
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual