Starland Retreat Center/Campground
Yucca Valley, California, United States
- Last updated: February 29, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: December 31, 1999
Our facilities are available for group retreats, workshops or other events as well as for individual visitors. We are located on 10 scenic and private acres. Facilities include a 27’X36′ assembly hall, a lodge house with a kitchen, dining room, lounge, sleeping room and rest rooms, a large outdoor dining patio, a hot tub, labyrinth, shower building, dome, hiking trails, several cabins and trailers and ample space for tents and RV’s. Most of the property could be clothing-optional. For larger events, the adjoining property can be available, which consists of a large 2 bedroom 2 bath house on 3 acres with full RV hookups and a 600 square foot garage which can be used as an additional activity space. We are ideal for events with 20-50 participants.
We serve as a Southern California home base for Network for a New Culture, Radical Faeries, Burning Man and other groups and organizations. We are affiliated with the Shadow Mountain Cohousing community in nearby Joshua Tree.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1992
- Start Living Together: 1997
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.starlandcommunity.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/StarlandCommunity?ref=br_rs
- Other social: http://www.meetup.com/New-Culture-Southern-California/
- Contact Name: Steve Fuji
- Phone: 760-364-2069
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property), Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling), Unspecified, or Other
- Programs & Activities: Transition Town (post-petroleum and off-grid communities), Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Organization, Resource, or Network, Festivals, Conferences, Events
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
voluntary steering committee
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $5
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 6
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Various membership levels starting at $10/yr
Annual dues and resident members contribute to expenses
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Solar
- Planned renewable energy generation: 26-49%
- Current food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned food produced: Between 26-49%
- Food produced locally: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Swimming pond or pool, Hot tub or hot springs, Outdoor Kitchen, Large Scale Kitchen, Stage or Auditorium, Fire pit, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for some people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Somewhat – there are some dietary restrictions or customs.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Hope to create community garden
Intoxicated behavior and illegal drugs strictly prohibited
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs), Christian, Buddhist, Emissaries, Quaker, Native American, Unitarian Universalist, Paganism or Earth Religions, Mixed Eastern Philosophy or Practice, Rainbow Family, Humanist
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Southern California Intentional Community Alliance, Network for a New Culture, Radical Faeries
Shadow Mountain Cohousing, Riverside Raincross Cohousing, Mt. Joy Ecovillage, New Culture Communities
retreat center, campground