Solidarity Farm at Maybrook Lodge
Kerhonkson, New York, United States
- Last updated: September 5, 2018 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: June 25, 2018
The Mission –
1) To provide nutrient-dense, organic, ethical food to the cooperatively minded of the mid/lower Hudson valley and the greater NYC area.
2) To provide opportunities for retreat, recreation, connection, and education in transformative living skills like permaculture, regenerative farming, cooperative living, personal development, social justice and political activism, and more.
3) To provide a home, a community, and livelihood to those drawn by this vision and the values embodied within it.
We are a new community forming in Kerhonkson NY based at an old Catskills retreat center about 2hrs driving from NYC. There is a good foundation starting with a democratic ownership structure, 20+ bedrooms, 15acs of land, and connections to NYC community. We want this to be a home for fellow radicals who also feel that cooperation, regenerative ecological relationships, social justice, and more are the essential values of our time, and (we hope!) the foundations of a society that can adress the challenges of climate change with some hope of “success”
The location is a former Catskills retreat in Kerhonkson NY in the rich Rondout Valley. (After renovation) there will be 20+ bedrooms, abundant community spaces, artist and craft workspaces, commercial kitchen and sustainable food education space, big dance hall and performance space and more!
Cooperative economic opportunities– there are various enterprises possible on the land
We are getting the farm business started by selling whole-farm shares to other intentional communities and coops in NYC. We are initially offering community-sized CSA shares: a bulk delivery of veggies/eggs/meat delivered each week to the respective community/coop house.
Other business ventures include farmstays, retreats, workshops, music and performance events, green building, artisan products and much more.
Creative and cooperative/entrepreneurial types encouraged to check us out! Visitors always welcome.
Ganas, an intentional community in Staten Island with 70 members will be an “anchor” customer. One of the side benefits of the project is a place to stay in a community in NYC on days off, delivery days, etc. and be connected to a growing network of intentional community in NYC and beyond!
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2018
- Start Living Together: 2018
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SolidarityFarmatMaybrook/
- Other social: https://www.instagram.com/solidarityfarmny/
- Contact Name: kevin
- Phone: 3478202947
- Community Address:
5728 highway 209
Kerhonkson, New York, 12446
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling), Unspecified, or Other, Transition Town or Eco-Neighborhood (focused on energy/resource resiliency)
- Programs & Activities: Transition Town (post-petroleum and off-grid communities), Ethical Business, Investment Group, or Alternative Currency, WWOOF’ing, Guest Farming, Festivals, Conferences, Events
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: No
- Shared Income: Partial share of income
- Required Labor Contribution: Encouraged or suggested
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes (some debt)
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Solar, Biofuel
- Planned renewable energy generation: Almost All, around 90%
- Current food produced: Between 26-49%
- Planned food produced: From 50-75%
- Food produced locally: Almost All, around 90%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Vehicle Share, Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Swimming pond or pool, Outdoor Kitchen, Large Scale Kitchen, Stage or Auditorium, Fire pit, Swingsets & play areas, Waterfront access
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Vegetarian Only (no animal meat; dairy and eggs okay) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegetarian, Mostly Vegetarian, Opportunivore (dumpster diving, nature harvesting, etc.)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
cooperative economics, permaculture, regenerative farming, commune, ecovillage, activism, justice