SoL – Space of Love Village – a multigenerational homesteading community
Grand River, Nova Scotia, Cape Breton, Canada
- Last updated: July 23, 2018 (1 second ago)
- Listing created on: July 22, 2018
Creating the best conditions for healthy living, creative work and raising children. A multi-generational homesteading neighborhood community base on the common ground of gardening, natural child rearing and including elderly people into the communal live again.
Inspired by the Space of Love/Kin’s Domain Movement around the world we set out to find this fertile ground to create our own Space of Love. Eventually we made our home on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada. Here we’ve found everything we were looking for to live an intentional life on the land & raising children in a natural way – pristine landscapes, mild climate, rugged coastline along the wild and lonesome ocean, deep green forests and clear streams, rivers, ponds and lakes, affordable land, natural abundance and bounty as seldom seen before and last but not least friendly and ever helpful local people.
“Cape Breton Island – Your heart will never leave” – this is what they say, and oh how true they are…
More than 3 years now we grow, work, perfect, admire & love our chosen homeland. We grow a big vegetable garden, a potato patch, built a greenhouse and a root cellar and planted an orchard. Our living fence is tiny yet growing. We live in a small but cozy and light home and over time, we are looking to improve the house to become an even more self-sufficient unit. We are not complete off-grid but strive to become so in the near future. Our kids are 1 and 6 year(s) old. We homeschool/unschool the older and are overall into a very natural parenting approach/natural child rearing. We love and enjoy the great outdoors, spending 90% of the summer out in the fields and forests, gardening, foraging, tending the wild or just enjoying a swim in the ocean or one of the nearby lakes.
For us, living on Cape Breton Island is a dream came true and we believe this place could make a suitable “home-base” for many more families with a similar attitude. And so, this is to let the world know: We are seeking like-minded neighbors!
Other families with kids, or families to be or elderly people who are looking to share their wisdom and knowledge. People who have a common ideal for living. People who want to join a community based on the principal of live and let live. We are seeking for families (couples and individuals as well) who are looking for a slower pace, who want to lead a more self-sustainable and healthy way of life, families who want to escape the dept slavery and the business “rat race”. We are looking for people who miss the village!
So, if you are seeking to find this place to create your own Space of Love, plant a garden and co-create the best conditions for healthy living, creative work and raising children – come and meet us, feel the island, the space and consider to become our neighbors.
We do live on our land but it is not big enough to subdivide it any further. However, there is plenty of vacant, affordable land available close-by.
We envision a Cape Breton made up of many happy, healthy families. Families from all parts of Canada and maybe even the world. (Families from different social and cultural backgrounds). Families made up from elders, adults, children and grandchildren, aunts and uncles, nieces and nephews and brothers and sisters, both by blood and in spirit. Families who are united by the idea of the perfection of their dwelling space – united in creating their own beautiful oasis’ and co-creating and fitting together their blooming space with all the other blooming spaces around them to make one big Space of Love – maybe even an Island of Love – and this island may lead the way for other communities around the world to a happy and sustainable future for all of us.
If this resonates positively with you, please get in touch with us! (also find a more elaborate description of our project on our website)
Our space is open to visitors year round; please message before your arrival.
We are looking forward to you.
the “Wild acres” family
initiators of the SoL Village – Grand River, Cape Breton Island, NS, Canada
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2014
- Start Living Together: 2015
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://spaceoflovens.weebly.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011157013631
- Contact Name: Mona
- Mailing Address:
PO Box 3/4
Grand River, Nova Scotia, Cape Breton, B0E1M0
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property), Transition Town or Eco-Neighborhood (focused on energy/resource resiliency)
- Programs & Activities: Transition Town (post-petroleum and off-grid communities), School, Educational Institute or Experience, Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association, Ethical Business, Investment Group, or Alternative Currency, Organization, Resource, or Network, WWOOF’ing, Guest Farming, Festivals, Conferences, Events
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: none is needed as we are “just” neighbors with each of us having our own space
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: No
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: No
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current renewable energy generation: 50-75%
- Energy sources: Solar, Biomass, Biofuel, Geothermal
- Planned renewable energy generation: 100%
- Current food produced: From 50-75%
- Planned food produced: Almost All, around 90%
- Food produced locally: From 50-75%
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Not good for most people.
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Mostly Vegetarian, Mostly Vegan, Opportunivore (dumpster diving, nature harvesting, etc.), Raw or Mostly Raw, Kosher, Halal, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Private Schooling at the Community, Private School off the property, Public Schooling, Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Space of Love, Kin’s Domain, Anastasia, homesteading, homeschooling, unschooling, neighborhood,