Fairfield, Iowa, United States
- Last updated: January 3, 2019 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: March 21, 2011
SoFair Farms has a modest mission; create a small eco-village living in harmony with its environment and neighbors. The 20-acre plan is well designed using permaculture principles and intelligent community land planning for small homes.
Currently Interested in Accepting Investor-Memberships with Included Home Site Selection as available.
Shared Farm Ownership for 10 members each with a Tiny House homesite, 3 private property members and 4-6 future co-housing members constitute the maximum membership.
For a limited time, you are invited to visit SoFair Farms and see for yourself how this new Intentional Community is breaking ground with the introduction of Tiny Houses.
SoFair Place Non-profit 501(c)3 is being developed for assisting in transition housing with a farm and village component. Four tiny-homes will be developed to serve this purpose for residents spending 3-month terms in residence.
SoFair Farms’s mission is to create a model eco community living in harmony with its environment and neighbors. The 20 acre farm, located just south of Fairfield and Route 34, is one of the most beautiful you will ever see in this area. The perfect marriage of climate, soil, local community, and abundant resources, all set the tone for the possibilities at SoFair Farms.
The purpose of SoFair Farms is the creation, building and on-going promotion of a mixed-use ecologically designed community, where residents live within a working organic farm. As a model for sustainable living, SoFair Farm’s goal is to create a community that is both ecologically and socially enriching. The greater farm will be comprised of working gardens, integrated animal systems, orchards, ponds & natural features, and nurseries & greenhouses.
SoFair Farms, utilizing Permaculture design, is an organic farm/community that is offering people an extraordinary opportunity to co-create their own neighborhood. We seek people who are friendly, conscious, talented, and who will compliment our harmonious vision.
Our 20-acre organic farm is as beautiful as it is bountiful, and its ideal location provides access to Interstates, shopping/amenities, and the vibrant community of Fairfield with the MUM campus and is equal distance to downtown as is Vedic City.
We seek those who possess greater awareness and emotional maturity than the average person because SoFair Farms is designed to exceed average expectations. With the wealth of critical skill sets already assembled, we are destined to become a model for sustainable living and inspire its participants as well as the wider society. We seek investor-members with integrity, character and courage, who will be great partners as well as neighbors. $22,000 Village Membership including homesite.
For investment-membership or information contact Tom at 610-659-7532
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2011
- Start Living Together: 2013
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.sofairfarms.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/363016450435997/
- Other social: https://www.facebook.com/Eye-On-SoFair-Farms-1428456654076865/
- Contact Name: Tom Greene
- Phone: 610-659-7532
- Community Address:
PO Box 292
2385 Mint Blvd
Fairfield, Iowa, 52556
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Programs & Activities: Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association, WWOOF’ing, Guest Farming
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Equal Member Votes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $50
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: No
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Labor contribution in lieu of Mo. fee OK
Membership fee for voting and land rights
There will be equitable member assessments due
- Energy sources: Solar, Wind, Geothermal
- Planned renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Food produced locally: From 50-75%
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Mostly Vegetarian
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Festivals and broader community invites
As individuals in their own home
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Global Ecovillage Network (GEN)
TM, Transcendental meditation, flying room, Maharishi, sustainable living, local investment, organic