Saint-Calixte, Quebec, Canada
- Last updated: June 4, 2018 (1 second ago)
- Listing created on: June 4, 2018
– Provide a quiet space away from busy modern life to allow for spiritual unfoldment.
– To develop a strong spiritual center for Saivism in eastern canada where it is possible tolive the most traditional monastic/ashram lifestyle possible.
– To make the teachings of Saiva Siddhantha available to those it might benefit.
Śiva Ashram is made up of a group of yoga enthusiasts living in the woods sharing daily spiritual practices and karma yoga / work in the accommodation business that sustains our community.
Our site include a house with 3 rooms, two tiny houses fitting two people each and a trailer home. We share common areas of the house (kitchen, dining, living room and meditation room) outdoor jacuzzi.
We focus on living a contemplative lifestyle with simple tasks and clearly defined time blocks to allow time for contemplation and meditation throughout the day. Our group’s spiritual unfoldment is stimulated and guided by hindu philosophy, meditation, devotional practices, hatha yoga, scripture study, vedic chanting and mantra singing.
Religious/philosophical lineage :
Śiva stands for Shiva, which refers to the God most would otherwise call “the universe”, which to us is omnipresent love and transcendent reality. We follow and study Saiva Siddhantha which is a traditional mystical branch of hinduism from south india and northern Sri Lanka that sees Śiva as the ultimate God. We believe all souls are divine, and we strive to see God in all and everything as well as within ourselves. We also believe that one of life’s most important goal is the realization of the self God within us, self-realisation, the experience of parasiva and Saiva Siddhantha provides us with many tools, practices and lessons on this inner journey. We also believe in reincarnation, karma and dharma and study these topics in depth. Hinduism being very inclusive, we are open to people coming from any path as long as they are curious enough to experiment this philosophy with us for a while to see if it might fit them or not.
We finance our lifestyle through the maintenance and development of an accommodation business we developped on our 34 acre wooden land.
So far, we have installed 4 different cabins that we rent (tipi, 2 bubble to sleep under the stars and tree house). We are presently building a hobbit house and will soon build s site for a second bubble for clients to sleep under the stars in the fall.
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2016
- Start Living Together: 2016
- Visitors accepted: Yes, rarely
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: https://kedarnathansubrama.wixsite.com/sivaashram
- Business, Project, or Organization: http://www.hindouisme.org,%20www.hebergementlespiedssurterre.com
- Contact Name: Kedarnathan Subramanian
- Community Address:
3150 6e Rang
- Type(s): Commune (organized around sharing almost everything), Spiritual or Religious Community
- Programs & Activities: School, Educational Institute or Experience, Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, WWOOF’ing, Guest Farming
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: By a board, council, group of elders, or leadership group
- Identified Leader: Yes, multiple identified leaders
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: No
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 25
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Our community is sustained through an accomodation business built within it in which most of us invest 25h/week karma yoga.
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: Almost All, around 90%
- Energy sources: Clean Energy from the Grid
- Planned renewable energy generation: Almost All, around 90%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: Between 26-49%
- Food produced locally: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Vehicle Share, Workshop, Hot tub or hot springs, Tractor & Farm Equipment, Fire pit, Recreational vehicles, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for some people.
- Shared meals: Approximately all meals
- Dietary Practice: Mostly Vegan, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Yes – we all share a common diet.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: No, this community does not permit alcohol use.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Hindu
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: Yes
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual