Lansing, Michigan, United States
- Last updated: May 3, 2018 (1 second ago)
- Listing created on: May 3, 2018
The Rivendell Housing Cooperative (subsequently described as “the cooperative”) is a member-owned housing cooperative that has existed in the Lansing area for nearly forty years. In September 2017 Rivendell became a member of Michigan State University Student Housing Cooperative (MSU SHC)
As a cooperative, members (occupants) take partial ownership of the property and are expected to contribute to the maintenance and upkeep of their respective house during the duration of their stay. With property located in downtown Lansing (Rivendell) 731 W Genesee St. (100 year old house, 1917 build date) members strive to pursue a low-impact, ecologically-friendly lifestyle. As a member of the cooperative, residents are expected to fully participate in the decision making process as it pertains to the health of the cooperative. All decisions made by the cooperative will be reached through consensus; that is, all members of the cooperative must agree on any changes or policies adopted by the cooperative. All members of the cooperative hold equal standing in the decision-making process.
Rivendell Cooperative is looking for a roommate to fill our 8th bedroom in our cooperative housing. The 100 year old house, Rivendell, is full of character and lovely housemates. Everyone’s really fun and progressive. LGBTQ friendly space. There is one room for rent in the house. (currently have cats).
As a member of the house you must perform weekly chores above and beyond cleaning after yourself. There are mandatory bi-weekly meetings, we schedule them together and are generally flexible. Rent is $350 which includes all utilities, wifi and some food.
We have a washer/dryer and there’s lots of parking. Big backyard with a garden and a nice front porch.
Please contact for more information today! msu.coop has additional info as well.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1972
- Start Living Together: 2017
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.msu.coop/
- Community Address:
731 W Genesee St
Lansing, Michigan, 48915
- Type(s): Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling), Student Housing or Student Co-Op
- Programs & Activities: Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: By a board, council, group of elders, or leadership group
- Identified Leader: Yes, multiple identified leaders
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: All or close to all
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Common Facilities: Garden(s), Outbuilding(s), Fire pit, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
Michigan State University Student Housing Corporation
Cooperative, Garden, Community, LGBT, Love