Raw-Wisdom Vegan Community
Oneonta, New York, United States
- Last updated: May 29, 2016 (11 months ago)
- Listing created on: June 9, 2007
Healing the Earth & Ourselves
We are a vegan community with four spirited members plus one on the way. The Raw-Wisdom community started out by simply offering vegan, plant-based diet pot lucks for local residences, and our emphasis remains on natural, healthy, spiritual and environmentally sustainable lifestyles. We offer instructions on organic indoor and outdoor gardening, optimal plant-based nutrition, detoxification and mind/body work. We also manage the educational websites www.raw-wisdom.com and www.healingtalks.com.
Initial Leadership: The community’s reformation has been led by Nathan Batalion, PhD CTN (Certified Traditional Naturopath). Nathan is an author/blogger on health and environmental topics, as well as a nationally ranked triathlete who has 5 years of previous intentional communal living experience (The Barn, Warwick, NY). For more bio and philosophy details: http://www.healingtalks.com/about/.
Assets: The physical assets available include 16 properties. However, 14 of these properties are currently managed as rentals (though if the community expands these rented properties could be converted to community use). Oneonta is a lovely rural town with two colleges – which offers the best kind of setting if one wants to live in a cozy, slow-paced small town surrounding by large expanses of rural areas, while still having the cultural stimulation of a college center (similar to Ithaca NY, home of Cornell University). We also offer a community organic garden at one of the houses plus a composted organic garden at the main house.
Expanding Activities: We periodically visit with and explore working with other local communities and/or healing professionals to share resources and inspirations. One way we continue to extend our network is through pot lucks or holiday meetings, educational forums, and activism on environmental and health issues. We look forward to sharing both our inner and outer wealth with like-minded, industrious, well-balanced, spiritually healthy individuals who are dedicated to transforming themselves and our culture. We can help such individuals to further transition themselves by means of following more healthy, eco and spiritually aware intentional community lifestyles.
More on Location: Scenic Oneonta, also known as “City of the Hills,” is nestled within the Catskill Mountains region and along the Susquehanna River. We have plenty of fresh air, water and picturesque rural lands. Oneonta is only three hours from New York City, four hours from Philadelphia, and six hours each from Boston and Washington, DC. If you are planning to come to the general Northeast area, please don’t miss visiting us.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2007
- Start Living Together: 2007
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.raw-wisdom.com
- Contact Name: Nathan Batalion PhD, CTN
- Phone: 607-267-8901
- Community Address:
161 East Street
Oneonta, New York, 13820
- Type(s): Commune (organized around sharing almost everything), Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Spiritual or Religious Community
- Programs & Activities: WWOOF’ing, Guest Farming, Promote Healing of Each Other and the Planet
- Location: Small Town
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: Yes
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: No
- Shared Income: Partial share of income
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
The work exchange hours will vary depending on the circumstances or the extent of what is being exchanged
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Solar
- Planned renewable energy generation: 26-49%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: Up to 25%
- Food produced locally: Between 26-49%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Vehicle Share, Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, exceptionally.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Vegan Only (plants only, no animal products) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegan., Dairy-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Yes – we all share a common diet.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: No, this community does not permit alcohol use.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Additional Diet Comments:
raw living organic whole foods are often emphasized (as in adding sprouts, fresh juices, probiotic drinks, fermented and low-temp heated foods). They are valued, amid a vegan, plant-based diet.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Essene-Hebrew Model
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling
- Expected Healthcare Practices:
Natural healing for chronic and systemic ills; avoiding and preventing the use of drugs, surgery, radiation, or allopathic medical care, except with rare accidental emergencies
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC)
Raw-Vegan, Back to Eden, Plant-Based Diet, Raw and Living Foods