Peacebird Animal Liberation Cooperative
Nipissing, Ontario, Canada
- Last updated: March 14, 2018 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: March 14, 2018
VISION: To provide and participate in a vegan interspecies community where all beings are equal. With sanctuary at our heart, we aim to be a steadfast presence of peace and justice for all, while living close to the Earth.
MISSION: To be a loving sanctuary to animal-persons and to advocate for all by being a place of education, service, and self-sustaining growth through positive action and affirmation. With learning and sharing via workshops, broader community engagement and personal example, the community uplifts and inspires.
We’re an established farm sanctuary and vegan agri-tourism destination in Ontario (established 2005) currently taking this project to the next step and converting the land and sanctuary into an intentional interspecies community as a vegan ecovillage. http://peacebird.org/
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2017
- Start Living Together: 2005
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://peacebird.org/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/yan_piebird
- Other social: http://piebird.org/sanctuary/
- Contact Name: Sherry & Yan
- Community Address:
113 Chapman’s Landing Rd
c/o Piebird Farm Sanctuary / Vegan Farmstay
Nipissing, Ontario, P0H 1W0
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability)
- Programs & Activities: School, Educational Institute or Experience, Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Ethical Business, Investment Group, or Alternative Currency, WWOOF’ing, Guest Farming, Farm Sanctuary & Vegan Ecovillage
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Additional Comments:
In decision making, we always ask ourselves first, “Does this respect the personhood of the sanctuary residents?” and “Does this foster positive attitude changes towards collective liberation?”
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: Encouraged or suggested
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Solar, Clean Energy from the Grid, Micro-hydro for 2018
- Planned renewable energy generation: 26-49%
- Current food produced: From 50-75%
- Planned food produced: Between 26-49%
- Food produced locally: 100%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Large Scale Kitchen, Tractor & Farm Equipment, Fire pit, Waterfront access, Internet, Funky sauna
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, exceptionally.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Vegan Only (plants only, no animal products) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegan.
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Yes – we all share a common diet.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Additional Diet Comments:
As the heart of the community is sanctuary, ethical veganism is the gathering point.
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
vegan, sanctuary, interspecies, ecovillage, farm sanctuary,