Peace Trail International
golfito, Costa Rica
- Last updated: January 15, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: May 3, 2014
Logos Academy Inc is a non-profit school with a vision to prepare future generations for world-wide economic, climatic and social change. Through education and community service we equip people of all ages with the skills necessary to provide for themselves and others both food and water security and alternatives to transportation and fuel use. We stress the use of appropriate technologies, a love for the earth, sustainability, and a community spirit.
Logos is the educational arm for Peace Trail International an organization dedicated to set people free from a failing world-wide economic system by re-connecting them to the earth and each other. Peace trail’s main focus is to establish Aldeas (settlements or outposts in Spanish) which are sustainable, food producing community portals created by an army of talented and loving volunteers.
Piedras Blancas Preserve
Food and Water Secuirty
500 acres of off-the-grid paradise located at the foot of the Piedras Blancas Rainforest Preserve in the Southern Pacific region of Costa Rica. We are a farming community and all residents are “shareholders” in a working farm managed by a non-profit university teaching Sustainable Science. With a goal of food and water security, minimalist living, and international cross cultural experience Huella Pequena (“Small Footprint” pronounced HooWAYya PayKAYnya in Spanish) offers a low-cost, affordable, Earth-friendly alternative to the typical Gringo Western-copy of the dead-end housing development.
The Costa Rican government has bought up all the land in and around the Piedras Blancas National Park in order to protect forever the Rainforest from development and we have one of the few private properties left in the entire region. Surrounding approximately 125 of farmland is our 375 acres of Primary forest, meaning it consists of never-have-been cut forest filled with Jaguars, White faced monkeys, Howler monkeys, Toucans, Amazon parrots and a host of other tropical birds and mammals, super rare!
Rio Esquinas River
The property fronts the Rio Esquinas river, a clean fresh water river that flows from the highlands of the Piedras Blancas preserve and we also have beaches on the Golfo Dulce which National Geographic says is a worldwide phenomena of incredibly deep waters famous for fishing and a only short boat ride from the historic French Banana town of Golfito and the other amazing national parks like Corcovado. see this link https://firstname.lastname@example.org,-83.3191136,2459m/data=!3m1!1e3
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2012
- Start Living Together: 2012
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.logosacademyinc.com/MissionShare.phpl
- Business, Project, or Organization: http://www.huellapequena.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/huellapequena/?ref=hl
- Other social: http://www.peacetrailinternational.org
- Contact Name: Steven Behncke
- Phone: 3526173673
- Community Address:
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property), Student Housing or Student Co-Op
- Programs & Activities: Transition Town (post-petroleum and off-grid communities), School, Educational Institute or Experience, Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association, Ethical Business, Investment Group, or Alternative Currency, Organization, Resource, or Network, WWOOF’ing, Guest Farming, Festivals, Conferences, Events
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: By a board, council, group of elders, or leadership group
- Identified Leader: Yes
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Balance of powers (proposed and still forming)with a goal of simplicity and solid legal foundation. Government will be based on a board made up of 1) landowner (until paid off) 3) Managing entity Logos Academy Inc 4) President/ Director and 4) Residents representative.
- Join Fee: $39000
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $100
- Shared Income: Partial share of income
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 6
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
We provide work exchange opportunities leading to stipend positions and salaried positions. Most include food and housing. All full shares include share of all Grains, Vegetables, Fruit, Milk, Eggs, Meat, Fish and Wood produced on the property and after expenses any extra not consumed by community is sold in the local markets and divided among the Share holders
- Energy Infrastructure: We are totally off grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 50-75%
- Energy sources: Solar, Wind, Hydro-Electric
- Planned renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: From 50-75%
- Food produced locally: From 50-75%
- Common Facilities: Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Vehicle Share, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Outdoor Kitchen
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: Approximately all dinners
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Clean and conscious, open not dogmatic, respectful and supportive but realistic. This is a community that puts a lot of emphasis on producing as much as possible the things we need to eat and drink.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Christian
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
eco, tourism, sustainable, survival, csa, timeshare, self sufficiency, non profit,costa rica