Mason Street Townhome community
Portland, Oregon, United States
- Last updated: July 31, 2018 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: July 4, 2018
Mason Street Townhomes is a co-operatively governed community where a multi-generational group of friends lives simply, and where design, decision-making and day-to-day actions reflect shared values.
We commit to:
• Respect and care for other people and the earth.
• Appreciate the value each person brings to the community.
• Cooperate in decision-making and conflict resolution.
• Respect privacy, individual choice and diversity of opinion.
• Encourage personal and community growth and service.
• Connect to the larger community of neighborhood, city and region.
To foster these values, we will:
• Support one another in simplifying our lives, so we can focus on what we value most and consume fewer resources.
• Participate in nurturing and mentoring children, helping them become active members of the community.
• Encourage spontaneous fun and establish traditions that create a sense of place and community.
• Share materials, knowledge and skills, to benefit one another and the community.
• Create opportunities to learn from and with one another.
• Ensure residents’ privacy and autonomy in their homes and yards.
• Share equitably in maintaining and managing common buildings and grounds.
• Ensure that our processes of governance leave ample time for members to engage with family and friends, and in broader civic life.
• Welcome visits from others interested in learning from our experience.
Developed by Orange Splot LLC, the Mason St. Townhomes is a 14-home condominium community. This development retains one existing home and adds 13 more around an internal courtyard near the intersection of NE Mason Street & NE Cully Blvd. It includes a common house with kitchen, gathering space, and guest bedroom suite. Also, 3 of the homes will be permanently affordable through a partnership with the City of Portland and local community land trust.
Each home will has a sizeable covered porch, raised garden/planting bed, and small private yard area. Design of the site and its common amenities is intended to facilitate community building and interaction among residents. Shared amenities include:
A common building with small kitchen for social gatherings, food processing projects, movie nights, and more;
A central courtyard where children can play and grown-ups can socialize;
A guesthouse for friends and family who come to visit;
Secure indoor & outdoor areas for bike parking, and gardening/landscaping tools; and
Beautiful metal and stained glass art in gable ends and custom window shade trellises
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2018
- Start Living Together: 2018
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://masonstpdx.com
- Community Address:
5842 NE Mason St.
Portland, Oregon, 97218
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: Encouraged or suggested
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 0%, or close to 0%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Bike storage rooms (2), central courtyard with patio
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Not a particularly spiritual or religious community
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations