Arcata, California, United States
- Last updated: March 11, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: December 31, 1999
Marsh Commons site is a reused industrial property adjacent to a wildlife sanctuary and marsh with many miles of walking trails. We chose this site for its location close to the town plaza and to a beautiful wild place.
Our houses and common house feature sustainable materials, including carpet from pop bottles, redwood from an old barn we tore down, reused lighting, flooring resawn from old mill buildings, recycled-newspaper insulation, sustainably harvested construction lumber, and recycled-plastic lumber for decking.
We have weekly meals, celebrate together, have a vegetable garden, and respect each others individuality.
Houses to buy and rentals become available intermittently.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1990
- Start Living Together: 1998
- Visitors accepted: Yes, rarely
- Open to new Members: Not currently, but there is a list or possibly in the future
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.MarshCommons.org/
- Contact Name: Marsh Commons
- Community Address:
101 H Street, Suite A
Arcata, California, 95521
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Food produced locally: From 50-75%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Large Scale Kitchen
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, exceptionally.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: About once a week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), Mostly Vegetarian, Mostly Vegan, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used often.
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Private School off the property, Public Schooling
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual