PAHOA, Hawaii, United States
- Last updated: February 15, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: October 10, 2011
The aloha spirit of unconditional love guides all community activities.
Temperatures range from 70-85º F daytime and 60-70º F nighttime. It rains almost every day, occasionally six inches per day. No need for any irrigation. Water supply is rain-catchment. County water is free 4 miles away. Miss Green cultivates many seasonal avocado trees and year-round herb and flower gardens. The Gardens gently slope at around 900 feet of elevation on the east rift zone of an active volcano. Walk, bicycle or roll 2 miles to Pahoa town with laundromat, stores and library. The Hilo international airport (ITO) is 22 miles away. Walk, bicycle or roll ten miles to the lava-warmed coastal waters for decent surfing and boating. Small-scale solar power and composting toilets are popular in the area. Internet and cell phone signals are good in certain spots and fair in others. New cell-phone towers are planned to meet the growing demand.
Members and visitors may enjoy solitude, commune with nature, garden or work on a project. Projects are listed at http://www.green247.org including the online flower shop. The flower business has a zero-carbon footprint until the flowers leave the garden for delivery. A managing member in good standing has a voice at annual meetings and may develop two acres for private use. Loyalty is required to maintain governance rights in a limited liability company.
New members are welcome to apply to join the limited liability company that owns the property. A maximum of 17 members will equally steward the LLC.
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2005
- Start Living Together: 0
- Visitors accepted: Yes, rarely
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Contact Name: Mana Gardens LLC
- Community Address:
13-3376 PAHOA-KALAPANA RD
PAHOA, Hawaii, 96778
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability)
- Programs & Activities: Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
The decision making process of consensus will be used for all major decisions. These are defined as decisions on commitment to a specific site, hiring a developer, architect, engineer, or building contractor, site plan, architectural standards, house design, rezoning or other requests of local governments, budgets, loan agreements with outside lenders, incorporation documents, and other organizing documents. This decision making process is limited to members of Mana Gardens. In case of an impasse, conflict resolution procedures will be followed as described in the bylaws.
- Join Fee: $25000
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: No
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: Encouraged or suggested
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
The membership is required to regularly perform or pay for services. Stewardship is shared equally among members. One would expect from each member a reasonable amount of time or funding spent building the sustainable community.
All profits and losses regarding the land are to be shared equally among the members except as otherwise noted in its bylaws or agreed upon in membership meeting.
Bankruptcy disqualifies the debtor from membership.
A prospective member requests a provisional membership in writing. A provisional membership requires consensus by existing members. If it is granted, the individual becomes a provisional member with a minimum contribution of $4,800 per year, payable at a rate of $400 per month. This minimum must be paid as an initial deposit and the balance in 2 years time thereafter.
- Energy Infrastructure: We are totally off grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 100%
- Energy sources: Solar
- Planned renewable energy generation: 100%
- Current food produced: Between 26-49%
- Planned food produced: Almost All, around 90%
- Food produced locally: From 50-75%
- Common Facilities: Garden(s)
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: No, it is slow.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for some people.
- Shared meals: Rarely
- Dietary Practice: Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Mostly Vegan, Raw or Mostly Raw
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: No
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
avocados, fruit and greens
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Aloha
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: Yes
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC)
organic, rainforest, off-grid, renewable energy, sustainability, native forest, agriculture, buy in