Logan Square Cooperative
Chicago, Illinois, United States
- Last updated: April 4, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: July 23, 2010
Chicago Neighborhood Coop in the Logan Square / Avondale neighborhood.
The Logan Square Cooperative was purchased on 10/31/01 and includes 1 three-bedroom unit, 1 two-bedroom unit, 5 one-bedroom units, and 1 three-room studio.
We feel part of a real community with dynamic and diverse people (11 adults and 3 children) all dedicated to peace and justice and part of larger community as members of Logan Square Neighborhood Association. Child-friendly and pet-friendly. Lush garden, laundry facilities, and basement storage. Solar system for hot water installed and new back porches. Close to public transport (near Diversey and Pulaski); park and free swimming pool just a block away; garage space is rotated for $50 a month.
Our Coop is a limited equity coop because we are committed to long-term affordable housing. We have saved a large building from for-profit developers, and we are encouraging others to try the same. If a member moves out, (s)he only would take the amount put toward principal on the mortgage, downpayment, and major improvements (s)he put in that have been approved by the coop- that defines limited equity.
We are governed by By-Laws, the Principles of Unity, and Occupancy Agreements. Our criteria for membership include: Agreement with the principles of unity; commitment to affordable housing and living; commitment to keep Chicago a city in which affordable housing is available to everyone; a lifestyle and belief system which reflects commitment to social equality; financial stability to ensure financial commitment to the cooperative; willingness to make a commitment to living cooperatively by dedicating time and skills to cooperative work and activities; effectively communicating with members; ability to be flexible and tolerant and open to ideas and lifestyles of others; commitment to stay long term in LSC; has skills that would add to LSC existing skills, abilities and interests; Sense of humor and willingness to share joy; agreement on process of consensus decision making and willingness to learn and practice this process (Consensus is different from majority vote. We strive to ensure that each coop decision has the full backing of all of our members through adequate fact-finding, democratic discussion, and addressing the root cause of any objections).
Given the present economic crisis, this is your way to save money, live in better conditions, take a stand for affordable housing, and build community. As a member you would own a share in the Coop; the Coop owns the building.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2001
- Start Living Together: 2001
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Not currently, but there is a list or possibly in the future
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/logansquarecoop
- Other social: http://chicagocoop.net/logan/
- Contact Name: Mark Smithivas
- Phone: 773-230-3149
- Community Address:
3934 West George Street
Chicago, Illinois, 60618
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: Encouraged or suggested
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
If that member is currently stable
4-8 hours a month, meetings and committee work
Share price varies by unit
Monthly carrying charge is ~$800
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Solar
- Planned renewable energy generation: 50-75%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: Up to 25%
- Food produced locally: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Garden(s), Fire pit, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: Rarely
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices)
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Education Style(s): Public Schooling, Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Logan Square Neighborhood Association
logan square, avondale, chicago