Land of Dawes
Newfield, New York, United States
- Last updated: June 17, 2017 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: July 12, 2009
To live in harmony with the earth and each other. To gather in circle to co-create ceremony in giving gratitude to the elements that sustain us. To garden and eat from the fruits of our labor in a sacred way. To follow Permaculture principles.
Earth spirituality community now forming on 38 acres of forest and field off the grid near Ithaca, NY. Looking for a handful of good friends to live together on the land and co-create a community striving for sustainable, self-sufficiency, and a shared reverence for the earth that is our only home. We gather in co-created ceremonies to give gratitude to the elements that sustain us: Earth, Air, Fire and Water. We invite families and friends to circle on the eight cross-quarters on the medicine wheel, to re-align ourselves to the earth’s cycles and seasons. Potluck, bonfire, sauna are shared at the end of each gathering.
Poetry, song, chants and drumming, meditation and creative visualization are shared.
We have organic gardens, concord grapes, blueberries and a maple grove and evaporator to name a few of our permaculture crops. There is a pond and sauna. We have solar energy and a generator to take care of our electric needs but value our small footprint on the earth. There is barn space potentially for animals but is also used as a workshop. There is presently a small cabin available for living space for one or two more people.
Member of Sustainable Tompkins network. For information, (607) 564-9406.
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2008
- Start Living Together: 2008
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Contact Name: Debaura Dahl
- Phone: 607-564-9406
- Community Address:
512 Dawes Hill Rd.
Newfield, New York, 14867
- Type(s): Spiritual or Religious Community
- Programs & Activities: Transition Town (post-petroleum and off-grid communities), Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Festivals, Conferences, Events
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: Yes
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
as per community agreement
- Energy Infrastructure: We are totally off grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: Almost All, around 90%
- Energy sources: Solar, Biomass
- Planned renewable energy generation: 100%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: From 50-75%
- Food produced locally: Almost All, around 90%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Swimming pond or pool, Fire pit
- Internet Available: No
- Internet Fast?: No, it is slow.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for some people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Mostly Vegetarian
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Somewhat – there are some dietary restrictions or customs.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs), Native American, Paganism or Earth Religions
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: Yes
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Public Schooling, Up to each family or individual
- Expected Healthcare Practices:
Holistic Healing, Massage, yoga, herbalogy
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
- Additional Comments:
Dearest Community Seekers,
I am a hard working person who is dedicated to her profession in the community helping our elders of their journey home.I am an activities director in a nursing home and enjoy creating fun innovative events.I know this is part of my spiritual life path. Building community on my land has taken a back burner as there is just so much time we have” to walk our talk.” I wish for others to join me in creating a place on this land to be “The people we have been waiting for” and that we always have the potential to be on the path of enlightenment and can inspire each other to maintain the vision of small extended families everywhere, living in a sacred way.
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC)
Ithaca, N.Y., earth spirituality, ritual, rural, ceremony, sustainability solar.gardening