Lake Claire Cohousing
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
- Last updated: January 10, 2019 (1 second ago)
- Listing created on: December 31, 1999
Sharing, Resource Conservation
The Lake Claire Cohousing community is located in the Lake Claire neighborhood of Atlanta, just west of Decatur, just east of Candler Park and Little Five Points, and a few miles south of Emory University. We’re only about a ten-minute walk from MARTA, Atlanta’s rapid-transit system, on which you can easily travel to downtown Atlanta, Decatur, and the airport. We are also next door to the Lake Claire Community Land Trust, a sort of homemade neighborhood park which features a gazebo, a sandbox, a water garden, a fire circle, a sweat lodge, and even a stage for performances.
Lake Claire was the first cohousing community built in Georgia and one of the first in the Southeast. (In the Atlanta area, we have since been joined by the East Lake Ecovillage in south Decatur.) There are 13 households at Lake Claire, along with a common house, two courtyards, fountains, and a community garden—all on about one acre of land.
What is cohousing?
Cohousing began in Denmark in the late 1960s, spread throughout Scandinavia and other parts of Europe, and then made its way to the US beginning in the late 1980s. Katherine McCamant and Charles Durrett, husband and wife architects from San Francisco, lived in various cohousing communities in Denmark for a few years and then wrote a book entitled “Cohousing: A Contemporary Approach to Housing Ourselves.” That book helped spread the cohousing concept to America, where the first community was built in Berkeley. There are now several dozen cohousing communities throughout the US, and more than a hundred groups in the process of development.
Cohousing is an attempt to reconcile the need for greater community with the need for privacy and personal space.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1994
- Start Living Together: 1992
- Visitors accepted: No
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Contact Name: Lake Claire Cohousing, attn John Greene
- Phone: 404-687-0179
- Community Address:
258 Connecticut Ave. NE
Atlanta, Georgia, 30307
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Additional Comments:
7 hours per month
HOA dues of around $150/month
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Mostly Vegetarian
- Additional Diet Comments:
All common meals are vegetarian
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Buddhist, Jewish, Muslim, Unitarian Universalist
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Private School off the property, Public Schooling