Kingfisher Cohousing on Brookdale
Oakland, California, United States
- Last updated: April 16, 2018 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: September 27, 2006
Our mission is to create Cohousing in our Brookdale Ave property, as described in the book “Cohousing” by McCamant and Durrett, with the following characteristics:
Architectural design that facilitates interaction, with a central courtyard
Parking separate from homes
A common house with shared facilities
Shared work load
This is a market-rate model, with a combination of rental apartments and condominiums for purchase with significant down payment required. We are not organized around any political or religious philosophy, only the desire to eat together, have a sense of community with good communication, and take care of our property.
I hope to create a community with people who are committed to collaboration, good communication, consensus-oriented decision making, and respect for each other.
I have an 8-unit apartment complex with a common house, built around a charming courtyard, in the Fruitvale district of Oakland, a few blocks below Hwy 580. The plan is for members to move in as the existing tenants naturally move out over time. As of April 2018, 4 units are occupied by the tenants who were here when we purchased (very nice neighbors, and two are interested in being part of cohousing), I am also living on site, and 3 units will soon be available for cohousers, two as condominiums for sale and one rental. Whether this develops into cohousing or just a friendly complex depends on who moves in here.
To find out more see our web site and contact us at [email protected]
- Status: Re-forming
- Started Planning: 2006
- Start Living Together: 2016
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.brookdalecommons.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/373853055435/
- Contact Name: Jenny Guy
- Phone: 510-843-3239
- Community Address:
3130 Brookdale Ave.
Oakland, California, 94602
This Community is Re-formingYear re-formed: 2016
Former name: North Oakland Cohousing
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Voting (majority or super-majority rule)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Additional Comments:
We plan to use Consensus Oriented decision making for the discussion and problem-solving stage, and either vote or use consensus with a voting backup for the actual decision. This will be up to the people who join.
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 4
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Visitors are welcome to attend meetings until they decide whether to join as associates and (eventually) become full members. Associates pay $100 a month. Members who purchase condominiums invest a large sum, (minimum $35,000 as of early 2016), members who rent pay market rents ($1,475 for a 1-bedroom as of early 2016) which is then subject to Oakland’s rent control. For renters, the rent covers all of their membership costs.
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Planned renewable energy generation: 26-49%
- Current food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Food produced locally: Almost All, around 90%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Workshop, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, both the community and individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 1-3 times per month
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Additional Diet Comments:
We generally accommodate individual needs at meals, it’s up to the cook. Smoking (tobacco and marijuana) allowed outside, well away from windows. Vaping (tobacco and marijuana) allowed in apartments.
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Coho/US, East Bay Cohousing