Trenton, South Carolina, United StatesDisbanded Community
- Last updated: September 7, 2018 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: January 18, 2014
Our focus is self-sustainability centered around the farm. We wish to grow healthy living things as naturally and chemical free as possible, to share and enjoy life and nature.
We ‘work’ hard to live well, and to minimize the consumer items we need. We wish to share our vision, our ‘work’, and inspiration with free thinkers.
as a former girl scout Campground, the property has numerous improvements that would lend support to an aspiring community group. The campground and local market sales offer income sources. The climate suits for year round growing. Active NRCS grants $20k for roads, high tunnel, fencing.
There is approximately 10 acres cleared and in pasture, working pens orchards, and market garden space. There is another 10 acres of campground with enclosed pavilion/kitchen, 4 treehouses, and RV spots. The remainder of the 70acres are mostly forested with old growth trees along the creek, a spring and a year round creek. At this time you are invited to purchase this property for your community.
We envision sharing generational benefits, animal and gardening therapy, growing young farmers, and creating areas within the farm that allow transition to off grid, minimalist needs living. Owner available to mentor if desired.
Our wish is that all who live here can make a living from the farm via cottage industry, internet work, farming, etcetera without commutes or undesired jobs to achieve dispensable consumerism. however located within an hour of Augusta, GA or Columbia SC, 20 minutes to Aiken, SC
We have hosted people who wish to learn including interns, however our time is consumed managing the farm. We appreciate members who love to learn and share! We have had up to 10 people living here and sharing ideals, homestead lifestyles, meals, and serenity.
We host events to grow and share. NVC Workshop, Backyard Hog Processing, and Sheep shearing are a few we have done publicly. We sell our products at online farmers market.
We practice Compassionate Communication and do not judge nor endorse a particular spiritual or cultural inclination. Be as you are if it harms none. If you are drama free, kind, self-sufficient, and willing and able to work towards a common goal of a homestead sharing lifestyle, this farm may be a fit. Thank you for your time in reading!
- Status: Disbanded
- Started Planning: 2012
- Start Living Together: 2012
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: No
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.khakalakifarm.com
- Contact Name: Kathryn Koven
- Phone: 509-554-1862
- Community Address:
324 Girl Scout Camp Road
Trenton, South Carolina, 29847
This Community has DisbandedYear disbanded: 2018
The campground and farm comprising 70 acres and year round creek are for sale.
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability)
- Programs & Activities: Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Ethical Business, Investment Group, or Alternative Currency, camping, agribusiness/tourism
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: open to voting
- Identified Leader: Yes
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
currently single farm owner welcoming input from single farm member, open to super majority
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 25
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes (some debt)
- Additional Comments:
We are open to a combination of systems as long as the basic needs of all are met…at this time each person should be able to support themselves financially (buy/build a home, contribute to farm expenses). We will not pay out to support someone nor is the farm income generating at this time. however, cost share projects to create income are welcome (grow a market garden for example and market thru the farm).
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Biomass
- Planned renewable energy generation: 50-75%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: 100%
- Food produced locally: Almost All, around 90%
- Common Facilities: Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Workshop, Tractor & Farm Equipment, Fire pit, Waterfront access, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: No, it is slow.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: About once a week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), Vegetarian Only (no animal meat; dairy and eggs okay) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegetarian
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Sometimes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC), Carolina Farm Stewards, Young Farmers, and Georgia Organics member
none in our area!
permaculture, farm, minimal needs living, cooperative farming