Austin, Texas, United States
- Last updated: January 5, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: October 10, 2004
The purpose of ICC Austin, a Texas non-profit corporation, is to create a mutually beneficial, diverse and inclusive community so as to promote the transformation of society toward cooperation, justice, and non-exploitation. To achieve this vision, ICC Austin provides affordable housing to students, on a cooperative basis, in an environment that enhances member education, encourages the formation of long lasting communities, and fosters responsible citizenship.
Established in 1937 and incorporated in 1970, ICC Austin is a nonprofit student housing cooperative located in central Austin. Student members share the responsibility and benefits of operating our nine co-op houses, while our professional staff maintains a central office. Houses run democratically, and members do all the work to run our houses–cooking, cleaning, etc.–spending four to six hours per member per week on these tasks.
Our houses are walking distance to the University of Texas and house 15 to 31 students each. We offer several vegetarian and upper-division houses and theme houses as well. Our programs and services are aimed to increase access to college education, and we operate as a nonprofit.
Members enjoy being part of local co-op community, and we are active members of NASCO, the federation of student co-ops.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1937
- Start Living Together: 1970
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://iccaustin.coop/
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/iccaustin
- Phone: 512-476-1957
- Community Address:
Austin, Texas, 78705
- Type(s): Student Housing or Student Co-Op
- Programs & Activities: School, Educational Institute or Experience
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Voting (majority or super-majority rule)
- Identified Leader: Yes
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Shared meals: Approximately all dinners
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals)
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used often.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used occasionally.