Green Street Urban Farm Health and Spiritual Homestead
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
- Last updated: November 25, 2017 (1 second ago)
- Listing created on: July 19, 2008
Organic Gardening, Shared Meals, Spiritual Exploration
We strive to plant and grow organically. We pick fruit. We share meals, upkeep, care, and maintenance of the property.
We are open to new non resident gardeners and residents as well. Gardeners also have the opportunity to become short- or long-term live-in residents at the Green Street Homestead. All Green Street Homesteaders are also required to Garden. However,Gardeners are not required to be residents of the Green Street Homestead.
Share large home. Shared Kitchen, Bath, Common Areas. Includes ALL utilities plus cable TV, wireless internet. Washer and Dryer. Large house, large front porch and back porch with BBQ, nice yard, vegetable/flower gardens, ample off street parking and storage, hardwood floors, fireplace, Yoga/Meditation room, breakfast nook. Lots of great kitchen gadgets. Yummy shared meals from delicious fresh veggies! Great neighbors. Adjacent to Liberty Park. 2 blocks to 9th/9th. Close to U of U, Downtown, Sugarhouse, Quick access to I-80 & I-15. 1/2 block to both 900 South and 700 East on quiet community like side street yet quick access to Liberty Park, numerous coffee houses, or anywhere in the city via 700 East/900 East which are major streets. Furnished or unfurnished room.
EVERYTHING included–ALL utilities, gas, heat, electric, cable, wireless internet, linens, blankets, sheets, pillows, furnishings, etc
Preference given to those with administrative/leadership/managerial/gardening/
If this appeals to you and you think you might be a fit and are clean, neat, tidy and organized. give me a call.
tel 801 867 9051
- Status: Re-forming
- Started Planning: 2006
- Start Living Together: 2006
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Contact Name: Babs Isak
- Phone: 801 867 9051
- Community Address:
848 Green St
Salt Lake City, Utah, 84102
This Community is Re-formingYear re-formed: 2017
Established Year Round Salt Lake City Utah Community Farm Health and Spiritual Homestead with Gardens around the whole block, Greenhouse, Cold Frames/Hoop Houses, Bee Hives, and closer then ever to finally having Hydroponics,Wheat Grass Station, Wild Mushroom Cultivation.
We look to bring together a group of health conscious athletic folks that are excited to join together in combined efforts to further our endeavors.
We plant and grow organically 4 seasons of the year. We are committed to eating home grown food most of the year. We pick fruit. We share healthy meals, bulk healthy food preparation, juicing, cleaning, upkeep, care, maintenance of the property, green engineering projects, facilitating group yoga, meditation, tai chi, healing arts, other facilitating group athletic endeavors–biking, skiing, swimming, climbing, etc.
New Chicken Coop
Front and Back yard Gardens. In addition, we “Ripped our Strip”, Greenhouse and Hoop House set ups for our back yard square foot gardens.
Herb and Perennial Permaculture Gardens,Alley Gardens amongst our Alley Neighbors.
Share large home. Shared Kitchen, Bath, Common Areas. Includes ALL utilities plus cable TV, Wireless Internet, Washer/Dryer, Large front Porch, Back Porch with BBQ, Beautiful Front/Back Yard Vegetable/Flower Gardens, ample off street parking and storage, Hardwood Floors, Wood Stove/Fireplace, Yoga/Meditation/Music/Workshop/Gathering Room, Breakfast Nook, Pantry.
Lots of great kitchen gadgets–Vitamix,Champion Juicer,Dehydrator,Steamer,Rice Cooker,Magic Bullet,Food Processor,Canning Equipment, etc.,etc. Yummy shared meals from delicious Fresh Herbs and Veggies! Great Neighbors. We prepare our own bulk Predominantly Organic Food staples– Yogurt, Kombucha, Granola, Humus, Seed/Nut Milks, Grind our own wheat to bake our own Bread, etc.
Adjacent to Liberty Park. 2 blocks to 9th/9th, Trolley Square, Library, Close to U of U, Downtown, Sugarhouse, Quick access to I-80 & I-15. 1/2 block to 900 South, 800 South and 700 East on quiet community like side street yet quick access to Liberty Park, Numerous coffee houses, or anywhere in the city via 700 East/900 South/800 South which are major streets.
EVERYTHING included–ALL utilities, gas, heat, electric, washer/dryer,water, cable, wireless internet, linens, blankets, sheets, pillows, furnishings, etc. Furnished or unfurnished rooms.
We are ready to move homestead to the next level.
Here are the prioritized list of things that we are currently working on.
1. Setting up storage/venues, systems, etc
2.Tidying up our over all organization, storage,labeling with label maker in all our venues–garden areas, tools, office/computer area, kitchen, basement/workshop, etc
3.Updating/setting up our social networking, logistics, rotating residential leadership roles/responsibilities, etc. to facilitate efficient time management/productivity, and work distribution.
4.We especially need help with the creating of the hand/guide books for our different venues in both written and electronic form.
We are interested in rounding out a solid group of residents looking for applicants with cover letter/resume and history of athleticism, leadership/managerial/gardening/farm/homesteading/culinary/cooking/health/nutrition/computer/administrative/manual labor/tool/spiritual/healing background in addition to contact info for references who can give me feed back as to your experience in these areas.
Single Private Room–$550
Double Private Room–$650
10-12 hours/week working around the homestead plus preparing 1 healthy vegetarian group meal weekly
We are an extremely low/non alcohol, non smoker environment
If this appeals to you and you think you might be a fit and are clean, neat, tidy and organized. give me a call show contact info
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability), Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling), Student Housing or Student Co-Op, Spiritual or Religious Community
- Programs & Activities: School, Educational Institute or Experience, Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association, Organization, Resource, or Network, WWOOF’ing, Guest Farming, Festivals, Conferences, Events
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: By an individual community leader
- Identified Leader: Yes
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 10
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: Up to 25%
- Energy sources: Clean Energy from the Grid, Connected to the Grid
- Planned renewable energy generation: Almost All, around 90%
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Planned food produced: From 50-75%
- Food produced locally: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Outdoor Kitchen, Large Scale Kitchen, Tractor & Farm Equipment, Stage or Auditorium, Fire pit, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, exceptionally.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: Approximately all dinners
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Vegetarian Only (no animal meat; dairy and eggs okay) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegetarian, Mostly Vegetarian, Mostly Vegan, Opportunivore (dumpster diving, nature harvesting, etc.), Raw or Mostly Raw, Kosher, Dairy-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Somewhat – there are some dietary restrictions or customs.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Aiming for growing over 50% of our vegetables once hydroponics/greenhouse/hoop houses fully functional
Common meals cater to most specific resident’s diet.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices), Eclectic (integrates multiple religious or spiritual beliefs), Buddhist, Jewish, Wiccan, Native American, Unitarian Universalist, Paganism or Earth Religions, Mixed Eastern Philosophy or Practice
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC)