Lancaster, Halton Village, United Kingdom
- Last updated: January 15, 2019 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: July 11, 2007
We are committed to making Forgebank a cutting edge example of sustainable design and living. The homes are PassivHaus and are built to CSH level 6. We have photovoltaic cells, district heating off a biomass boiler and have plans to install a hydro scheme.
Follow our community on Facebook (“Lancaster Cohousing at Forge Bank”) or Twitter (http://twitter.com/lancastercoho).
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2005
- Start Living Together: 2012
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://lancastercohousing.org.uk
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Lancaster-Cohousing-at-Forgebank-Halton-214505878590229/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/lancastercoho
- Contact Name: Membership Lancaster Cohousing
- Phone: +44(0)7825610342
- Community Address:
Lancaster, Halton Village, LA2 6FD
- Type(s): Cohousing (individual homes within group owned property)
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Regular Fee per Month: $120
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 3
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
Two – three hours per week, plus monthly cook & clean, plus meetings.
maintenance and service charges
- Energy Infrastructure: We are connected to the grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: 100%
- Energy sources: Solar, Hydro-Electric, Biomass
- Planned renewable energy generation: 100%
- Current food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Planned food produced: 0%, or close to 0%
- Food produced locally: Up to 25%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Vehicle Share, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Large Scale Kitchen, Swingsets & play areas
- Internet Available: Yes, both the community and individuals provide it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, exceptionally.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: 2-5 times per week
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals), Paleo (no grains, dairy, processed foods, or legumes), Local (food sourced within 150 miles), Organic (no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers), GMO Free (only non-genetically modified organisms), Mostly Vegetarian, Mostly Vegan, Opportunivore (dumpster diving, nature harvesting, etc.), Raw or Mostly Raw, Kosher, Halal, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Communal meals are usually vegan and vegetarian
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Buddhist, Jewish, Quaker
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling, Public Schooling, Up to each family or individual
Cohousing, Passiv, Code 6, Lancaster, England, UK, Eco, live-work, home-working