Finland, Minnesota, United StatesDisbanded Community
- Last updated: August 24, 2017 (1 second ago)
- Listing created on: July 25, 2012
Wild Harvest and Homesteading
We are currently a family of five living in the woods north of Finland MN. We lived in community with between two and seven other people for seven years. We love wild harvesting and camping, and we also have large gardens and dairy goats!
We are still wishing to live in community with others, at our home base, and while wild-harvesting and camping. Our homespace includes several handbuilt cabins, several garden plots, dairy goats in pasture, and adjacency to wild public land. Our main harvests are: sugarbush, leeks, medicinal herbs, sucker fish run, garden, berries, hazelnuts, apples, wild rice, deer hunting, and snaring hares. We are definitely a family (kids aged 13, 8 and 2), and are most interested in people with children joining us. We also run a summer camp for our friends, and would welcome adults who would be interested in participating in that!
Our home is in the midst of state forest and state park land; wilderness abounds! Local communities include Finland, which is small, friendly and open-minded, and Grand Marais, which is a bit bigger, artistic and also friendly; it has a food co-op. The blooming Long Haul Community is down the road four miles…
We will consider any time period length of visit from anyone. We would like to especially invite a person or people with one or more children to consider staying seasonally, over the summer/harvest time, as a good match for our space and life rhythms. Just contact us to get acquainted with possibilities!
- Status: Disbanded
- Started Planning: 2002
- Start Living Together: 2005
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Contact Name: Elli King
- Phone: 218-220-8997
- Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 526
Finland, Minnesota, 55603
This Community has DisbandedYear disbanded: 2011
Our community of young people came together to explore alternative ways of living, together. We found many ways, so many that we needed to separate to live each one fully! So, our family remains on this land, living our vision, while our former co-residents live in various places, many close by and still in contact, living theirs. We would, however, be interested in having people live with us again, particularly another family with kids similarly aged to ours! We would also be interested in hosting families for a shorter term, as an internship for a particular harvest or skill.
- Type(s): Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability)
- Programs & Activities: Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association, WWOOF’ing, Guest Farming
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: Yes, multiple identified leaders
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: No
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution: No
- Additional Comments:
I believe that earning income together could create good cohesion for our community, and would welcome thoughts and ideas on this. We also have some future ambitions in mind that could include other participants, such as a pick-your-own strawberry farm…
- Energy Infrastructure: We are totally off grid.
- Current renewable energy generation: Almost All, around 90%
- Planned renewable energy generation: 100%
- Current food produced: From 50-75%
- Planned food produced: 100%
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals)
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Education Style(s): Home Schooling
kids, woods, canoeing