Five Sixty House
Syracuse, New York, United States
- Last updated: November 6, 2017 (1 second ago)
- Listing created on: August 12, 2012
PEACE AND LOVE!
We live together in an old mansion in the cozy Westcott neighborhood of Syracuse, NY. Our house has twelve bedrooms, two kitchens, a cat, some fish, and a two-story rope swing.
We live together, not as individuals merely cohabitating, but as an extended family, supporting and loving one other.
The community extends beyond our house into the neighborhood at-large. There are many people who spend many hours here, but live at other addresses close by.
Our community includes artists, environmentalists, musicians, educators, social workers, advocates, and students.
We often take group trips to concerts, art shows, hiking, and other such outings. We cook and brew beer, garden and dance, play music and make art, travel and read together.
We have potlucks every Sunday evening, and we welcome visitors to this weekly feast!
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 2001
- Start Living Together: 2001
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://thefivesixty.org/
- Contact Name: Five Sixty House
- Community Address:
560 Allen Street
Syracuse, New York, 13210
- Type(s): Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling), Student Housing or Student Co-Op, Spiritual or Religious Community, Unspecified, or Other
- Programs & Activities: Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship, Neighborhood, Community Housing, or Homeowner’s Association
- Location: Urban
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: No
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: None
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes
- Additional Comments:
$15 monthly fee for purchase of collective necessities.
- Current food produced: Up to 25%
- Shared meals: Approximately all dinners
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals)
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Additional Diet Comments:
Sunday potlucks at 9 open to all, nightly communal meals at 7pm.
However, nightly foodshare meals are to be vegan.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Eclectic (integrates pieces from many religions)