Douceur et Harmonie: Domain Maman Terre
Serralongue, Catalonia, France
- Last updated: March 1, 2016 (1 year ago)
- Listing created on: August 1, 2010
Vegan Intentional Garden
We are looking for long-term and permanent residents and investors.
We are vegan community (Vivien, Bluette, Sylvain, volunteers, guests and visitors) living on 21 hectares of protected green forest and organic gardens. Situated in the eastern Pyrenees in the south of France. The house and gardens are on a ridge where you can see both the sun rise in the east and set in the west, the Mediterranean in the distance and have a great view of the sacred Canigou mountain of Catalonia. This area is famous for incredible fresh stream water, river swimming, natural hot baths, abundant local and Spanish produce, camping, hiking and great lighting. Generally everyone speaks french but Bluette is fluent in English. There is a plenty of wild edible herbs, vegetable and herb gardens, fruit trees and berry bushes. Food is usually organic fruits, veggies, herbs, nuts, fresh (non wheat) bread, brown rice, spices, oils, and fresh carrot juice. The water comes from a spring on the property and is delicious. A peaceful, calm, tranquil, inspiring and quiet environment where the focus has been “gentleness and harmony” since 1964 when Vivien first arrived. There is always something to do in the gardens and orchards or around the large house (9+ rooms). The Douceur et Harmonie property is owned by an association and is strictly vegan (no smoking, no alcohol, no meat or animal products) and keen on the ethical and loving treatment of animals. Hence, D et H has been the home of many vegetarian animals such a birds, geese, ducks, rabbits, roosters and chickens; however, carnivorous animals such as dogs and cats are not welcome due to their tendency to attack the above animals (this has happened in the past). If you have a very gentle vegan/vegetarian dog, that is a different story. Solar heated water, solar ovens, and spring water swimming pool. Water source is the spring on the land. The traditional stone(huge)farm house is over 250 years old. We are interested in hosting Permaculture Design Courses and integrating more permaculture principles and techniques – including natural building design. A great place for writers, mucisians, aritists, or the average person who desires to get their creatvie juices flowing.
- Status: Established (At least 4+ adults, 2+ years)
- Started Planning: 1964
- Start Living Together: 1969
- Visitors accepted: Yes
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://douceurharmonie.wordpress.com
- Contact Name: Bluette
- Phone: 00 33 4 68 39 62 56
- Community Address:
Douceur et Harmonie;
Domain Maman Terre
Serralongue, Catalonia, 66230
- Type(s): Commune (organized around sharing almost everything), Shared Housing, Cohouseholding, or Coliving (multiple individuals sharing a dwelling)
- Programs & Activities: Volunteer, Internship, or Apprenticeship
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Consensus (everyone agrees)
- Identified Leader: Yes, multiple identified leaders
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Additional Comments:
the community has a founder and an association
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: Partial share of income
- Required Labor Contribution: Encouraged or suggested
- Open to members with existing debt: Yes (some debt)
- Additional Comments:
we share what we have
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Current renewable energy generation: Almost All, around 90%
- Energy sources: Solar, Clean Energy from the Grid
- Planned renewable energy generation: Almost All, around 90%
- Current food produced: Between 26-49%
- Planned food produced: From 50-75%
- Food produced locally: From 50-75%
- Common Facilities: Common House, Garden(s), Greenhouse(s), Vehicle Share, Library, Workshop, Outbuilding(s), Swimming pond or pool, Outdoor Kitchen, Tractor & Farm Equipment, Recreational vehicles, Internet
- Internet Available: Yes, community provides it
- Internet Fast?: Yes, it’s fine.
- Cell Phone Service: Good for most people.
- Shared meals: Approximately all meals
- Dietary Practice: Vegan Only (plants only, no animal products) – Please check this only if you are 100% Vegan., Opportunivore (dumpster diving, nature harvesting, etc.), Raw or Mostly Raw, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: Somewhat – there are some dietary restrictions or customs.
- Special Diets OK: Yes
- Alcohol Use: No, this community does not permit alcohol use.
- Tobacco Use: No, this community does not permit tobacco use.
- Additional Diet Comments:
individual breakfast, usually shared lunch and dinner – but is fully optional
raw food vegan as well
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Not a particularly spiritual or religious community
- Education Style(s): Up to each family or individual
- Expected Healthcare Practices:
We expect everyone to have a healthy plant-based diet and sustainable way of living.
- Healthcare Options: Up to each family or individual
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC)
Fair Housing Laws
This community acknowledges that their listing does not include any potential violations of the Fair Housing Law, or that they do not provide housing. For any questions about this topic please see our Content Policies and contact FIC with any questions or concerns: [email protected].
Vegan, garden, organic, intentional, france, mediterranean, pyrenees, farm, permaculture, herbs