Eagle Rock, Virginia, United States
- Last updated: August 6, 2018 (2 seconds ago)
- Listing created on: September 8, 2016
Our Core Values:
Consciousness is the base of Diversity and Bridging. Bridging is built by consciousness and makes diversity sustainable. Communication sustains all three.
We intend our community and our selves to be bridges. We bridge:
• within ourselves as consciously as possible accepting all our inner diversity and the greater self-unity and inner peace and joy this gives us, and the more joyful and peaceful energy that results in our relating to others.
• to each other as members of the Donald’s View intentional community by using the bottom-up, 100% democratic problem-solving methods of the Assemblies pioneered by Donald Anderson with the National Association of the Southern Poor.
• as a community, with
o our neighbors and society at large to move forward to a livable future.
o towns, counties and communities surrounding us geographically
o other intentional communities region-, nation-, and worldwide
• from the old, “taker” paradigm in which corporations have the same rights as individuals without the accountability to a new, planetary community of harmony paradigm which future inhabitants will view as an aesthetic and practical enhanced, including considerations for geological orientation, geological sustainability, and golden mean in construction
• from a calculated cost-benefit paradigm to an artisan paradigm where all acts are of beauty in spiritual alignment with a mutually respectful future
• from work that harms others as it sustains us to work that sustains others as it sustains us.
• from a problematic present to a peaceful future, to our better tomorrow as a multi-cultural community living to thrive with no ecological footprint with all our neighbors: humans, animals and plants.
(Also see, vision statement: http://www.michaelbrickler.com/donaldsview/docs/DonViewVisState.pdf)
Donald’s View is a forming intentional community in rural southern Virginia. We are actively seeking passionate founding members who
1. read our description carefully
2. feel resonance with our Core Values
3. are ready to invest in every way (including financially), in our development
4. communicate with us to discuss next steps.
We feel no one should be turned away for financial reasons _and_ everyone in the community, plus allies and other donors, contributes financially.
Origins of the Community
The Original Founding Member is Michael Brickler. The land has been connected with Michael’s family since his ancestors were enslaved on the land. This intentional community is multicultural to honor the African and Native American heritage of the land. It is also a bridge for the larger surrounding community to cross to a future where our region can live in a more conscious, democratic, sustainable and fulfilling way.
Our name comes from Michael’s uncle Donald, who through his organizing work with the National Association of the Southern Poor was one of the main people who helped Michael develop this view of life and who was responsible for our family keeping this land which was a part of the plantation where my great-great-grandfather was born.
Donald started a celebration of friends, family and neighbors that we have kept going for over 48 years called “Usufruct.” He explained Usufruct as “honoring the fruit of the land without owning the land.” We want this idea of Usufruct to be part of our daily life at Donald’s View.
- Status: Forming
- Started Planning: 2012
- Start Living Together: 2020
- Visitors accepted: Yes, rarely
- Open to new Members: Yes
- Please read the details in Membership below before contacting this community. Send Message
- Website address: http://www.michaelbrickler.com/donaldsview/index.html
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DonaldsView/
- Contact Name: Michael Brickler; Beth Raps
- Phone: 304-410-2612
- Type(s): Commune (organized around sharing almost everything), Ecovillage (organized around ecology and sustainability)
- Location: Rural
- Decision Making: Modified Consensus (everyone agrees, with some exceptions or fallbacks.)
- Identified Leader: No
- Leadership Core Group: Yes
- Dues, Fees, or Shared Expenses: Yes
- Shared Income: Partial share of income
- Required Labor Contribution per Week: 0
- Energy Infrastructure: We use both systems.
- Planned food produced: Between 26-49%
- Food produced locally: 0%, or close to 0%
- Shared meals: 1-3 times per month
- Dietary Practice: Omnivorous (plants and animals)
- Dietary Choice or Restrictions: No – people may eat however they wish.
- Alcohol Use: Yes, used occasionally.
- Tobacco Use: Yes, used seldomly, or ceremoniously.
- Common Spiritual Practice(s): Ecumenical (accepts all religions or spiritual practices)
- Spiritual Practice Expected?: No
Community Network or Organization Affiliations
The Fellowship for Intentional Community (FIC)
Multicultural, African-American, Native American, Democractic, Sustainable, Consciousness, Bridging